PPE for filing?

How much do the guys work with their hands? Are they used to handling sharp edges beyond simply chainsaws? Over familiarity can bite you too, but where proper caution is exerted I don't think anything else is needed when doing chains. Safety glasses is a good habit, but I've never used them with chains. Can't hurt....

I use gloves to sharpen chain by hand too.

But just the leather finger of one glove, to cover the cutter edge, while I take down the raker a stroke or two!

Bare handed, just like an ole fool.

Jomo

I wear tinted safety glasses so often that I feel wrong without them. I almost always have a thin pair of gloves on as well.
And I'll second the nice beard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess imma lucky bugger, had metal in my eye twice but from grinding, not filing. Better institute a new rule. By executive order.

I wear gloves cuz I've seen my knuckle bone twice... never really wear glasses, unless they're on already.

Nah, no supreme court can over turn my decisions 😆

I wear gloves cuz I've seen my knuckle bone twice... never really wear glasses, unless they're on already.

I cut my finger a couple of times pretty badly filing, when I was much younger and even more stupid than now :). Gloves now, every effin' time the job of filing chain is called for. As to safety glasses, well I've been afflicted with (or gifted with depending on one's point of view) needing eyeglasses since I was a wee tot. So for almost any risk mine are covered. I use a shatter resistant plastic lens for work.

Even with that, I have had a wood shard or two get in...but never steel, luckily. Have had a grinding job absolutely ruin a pair of prescription glasses...a wakeup call, that one. Now for any power grinding, I wear safety goggles over my every day lenses.

If I didn't need lenses to see, I'd definitely wear them for safety. Only eyes we have, as you all know.

I've scalped my knuckles enough I should wear gloves. I do for a few weeks, then back to naked

Don't feel bad, Willie.
It took me about 25 years to wisen up and start using gloves when filing.
Got the scars to show for it, too.

Worst I've cut my knuckles was not from filing, though.
Broke a cheap Russian made wrench once, really laying into a stuck bolt, and skidded both hands over the engine of an old Hürlimann tractor.

Ouch !
Often the hands take hard with mechanic. The bolt comes loose suddenly or the wrench slides and Bam !
I lost many skin bits like that, but never went to the bone (in mechanic, I precise, otherwise ...).

Luckily, being ferrous metal, I hear they have some magic magnet to pull metal out of your eye.
But the fillings are somewhat barbed and it could be difficult to extract them from the eye's tissues.
I got some metal in the eyes, but only with the angle grinder, without or with protective glass. This shit sends loose bits everywhere by direct hits or ricocheting, metal and abrasive grains.
A bench grinder is less dangerous on this point (a little).

I wear a beard too and it could be quite long, as I'm too lazy to cut it. Usually, I take the hair clippers when it begins to be caught in the prussik :D
Wednesday, it was different, and a first one: I jammed my beard very closely under a sling during an self-rigging cut. Well... can't move, what can I do now... hopefully it was only a tuft, so I pulled it up. Ouchy !
Strangely, saturday my beard was shorter again:/:

I handle edges all the time sharpening and what not that need to be a lot sharper than chains, maybe that's why I feel little need for gloves.

Back