Which Chainsaw

Wood Collector

TreeHouser
I am currently looking at getting a chainsaw for use in a tree. What are peoples thoughts on the following chainsaws MS201T second hand for $809AUD, MS200T second hand but unused $2000AUD at the very top of my budget for limited use, MS 193T for $729 or a Makita 22.2CC 2 Stroke Petrol Top Handle Chainsaw for $399. I do the odd pruning and felling job for friends so don't use a pruning or ground saw much for private jobs, apart from at TAFE where I am climbing and doing removals. I may be getting into a bit more tree removal and pruning as I am not finding many Consulting arborist jobs being advertised in Sydney Aus

I'd forget the 200T for $2000 for a start, and probably the second hand 201T unless you can have a demo of it. Better off buying a new 201T, I think RRP is around $1500 now but you should be able to get one a bit cheaper.

What about a 150T for now, not much more than the 193T and it'd handle what you seem to be doing. A lot of us got by with saws that wouldn't compare to one of those and a lot here love them.

No way a used 200t for 2000 that is just ridiculous. Check the 201 was built AFTER Feb 2004 (someone can correct me on the year if it is wrong) before that date was the run of bad 201s.
The little 150t is a great saw, can handle up to 8-10" eucalyptus if you do the muffler mod and get the chain sharpening right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Steve Mack for the suggestion of the 150T I had considered it but I wasn't to sure if it would be right for me. I am not sure if it was an issue with the one that I was using but at times it seemed that it lacked power during cuts approaching 12" so that is why I forgot to include it.

Bermy, should the 200T be more expensive or cheaper? it is local hence why I was considering it. how does one do the muffler mod?

You have to mod the muffler at least to get it to cut really well, and yes it only has a 12" bar so burying it in 12" of euc or other tough woods it will struggle. My most used saw for pruning and small removals.
My 200t thinks it's the stepchild now

Oops just saw your post above, $2000 AUD for a used 200t is too much, that's more than a new 201t. A used 200 would be better around 800-1000 tops IMO, I think people are still tearing the tail out of the perceived value of them even used. Now that the bugs seem to have been worked out of the 201, why would anyone pay more for a used 200.

Modding the 150 muffler:
Take off the little deflector cover on the exhaust outlet
Remove the arrestor
Drill out the recessed area where the exhaust hole is
Replace the deflector cover
Adjust the carb as necessary

There is a whole three on the 150 on the chainsaw forum, worth a read.

E-bay used to be full of the lower ends of 020 and 200T's with cooked cylinders for 50 bucks and up .This was before somebody made an after market piston and cylinder .Otherwise if a saw shop rebuilt it you'd have nearly the price of a new saw .If you did it yourself it would be around 300 US dollars . About the time Stihl stopped making them people must have thought they were gold and the prices went through the roof .

what should it sound like after modding the carb or is that in the 150T thread just trying to get an idea as it will be my first time modding a saw.

Thanks Steve Mack for the suggestion of the 150T I had considered it but I wasn't to sure if it would be right for me. I am not sure if it was an issue with the one that I was using but at times it seemed that it lacked power during cuts approaching 12" so that is why I forgot to include it.

ms150T (or not T, following the needs) would be my choice too. This little saw has as high standards than the 200T, she's just smaller.
She's a queen in precision cutting. Keep the chain sharp (as it always should be) and she isn't afraid by the "big" diameters though, even in hard woods. She goes through at her pace but she does it. Really impressive. The only point where she isn't up to the 200T is when you need fast cutting for a quick release of a limb, horse power needed.

With the muffler mod, the engine breaths better and it needs a little more gas to follow. The risk is running too lean, lacking power and over heating the saw. The carb adjustment avoids that. Unscrew a little bit the adjusting screws L and H. It doesn't need much.
The tricky part is to take off the limiter set at the max on the screw. On this carb, it's a tinny aluminum pin engaging a molded aluminum part with a head screw imprint (what you see from the outside) which drives the real screw hidden inside the carb. Just drill it out, remove the molded aluminum part to blow out the fillings and replace it, then adjust the screws as usual.

That's what my main concern is, trying to get the right fuel to air mix. would a maintenance shop be able to assist in adjusting the carby after modding it?

You don't need to adjust the carb, just drill the muffler out.
I never adjusted mine after drilling, and she is doing just fine.

I'd forget the 200T for $2000 for a start, and probably the second hand 201T unless you can have a demo of it. Better off buying a new 201T, I think RRP is around $1500 now but you should be able to get one a bit cheaper.

What about a 150T for now, not much more than the 193T and it'd handle what you seem to be doing. A lot of us got by with saws that wouldn't compare to one of those and a lot here love them.

We've got a back up to the back up 193T that's been a good saw: it's not a MS200T, but being #3, it does alright in its limited use with a 14" Picco b&c.

I've never run a 193 but there's a few here that do and seem to like them.

I bought a 190T for a back up once, quick smart sold that and bought another 200. The 193 is a big improvement on them I think. If you want to make money buy good stuff in the first place and you won't go wrong, that's always worked for me.

My 020t are great,don't know how others feel.
I know they have cut a shit ton of wood over the years with very little
Problems.

That's what my main concern is, trying to get the right fuel to air mix. would a maintenance shop be able to assist in adjusting the carby after modding it?

Go see Derek at Seven Hills Stihl, best service around IMO, hes a champ

You could get a 150 and do the mod (I just pulled the spark arrestor out of mine and its already much angrier) plus get a small cheap rear handle ie ms170 ( plenty guys climb with that alone but its verging on hackery). This used 200 is going on gum tree for $1050 neg.

200t.JPG

Back