Little Chippers

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 50
  • Views 6K
you have to kind of push the branches in as there is no feed wheels
when the blades get dull it just bangs your hands till they go numb. not fun. i graduated from there to a 6 inch morbark which was pretty awesomley versatile. i picked it up for around 5 gs with a kohler moter. its a great small pruning chipper and i still have it as a back up. for the last two years ive run a 12 inch which is definitly preferable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a reality I had not considered, I was imagining just tossin the brush in and grabbing some more.

Where I'm coming from with this is I want to start leaving debris onsite as well as installing more mulch rings. So I figured it would be easier to chip in the back yard as opposed to dragging the brush to the curb and then moving the chips back into the back yard. Sounds like maybe not.

I have only ever used chippers with feed wheels.

You have to pick your battles, but yes. It is how we often roll. Let us mulch your trees for you... Want some for the garden? Can we just leave the pile in back?
Mo better than running it all out through a narrow gate and chipping it through a 12" beast into something that has to be dumped.

I wonder, would it be better to drag it out to a six or nine inch chipper then move the mulch to the back?

I've blown into large rolling Recycling bins and yard waste bins... Loaded to roll to the mulching area, about a cubic yard/bin.

Someone fabricated a discharge chute addition, jim454 on TB, IIRC. it discharged into large bags, or something.

jet sleds work great for moving mulch. the chips are amazing with the little guys but can get pretty stringy when dull. i really dislike hauling chips away from the sight these days. chips should stay. but it is easier to just haul em away give them to the recycle yard so they can dye them and haul em back and mulch volcano all the trees.... lol.

Is there such a thing as a chipper attachment for minis?

^^^^Kevin, that's the ticket. One thing I liked about those little chippers is the size of the chips when sharp. Almost like sawdust from a great cutting chain. Easy to work with and move. They also break down rather well

tree machine, jim clark in Indianapolis got into the tree business because he was first in the mushroom business. he bought a 6 inch bandit and modified the disc so it carriex four blades instead of two. he also made it so he could slow down the feed wheels. the result was beautiful fine chips which he would package and inoculate with spores and sell as grow your own mushroom bags. he would follow tree services around and chip their brush for chips. one year he prepared all his mushroom bags for a the huge christmas season. he was about to send them out to all his customers when a massive winter storm struck delaying his shipment by a week. his mushrooms all sprouted on him before he had the chance to send them out and he as forced to refund their money. he got out of the mushroom business and taught himself how to climb.... he still has the chipper and is still rocking it. it does make beautiful chips too. he now speeds up the feed wheels so it goes much quicker than my morbark.

Back