Little Chippers

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 50
  • Views 6K
L

Levi

Does anyone here have experience with "back yard" chippers? Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. If I could get it to fit my needs it would earn it's worth in a month or two.

Sean had a thread about them. https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...-sized-chipper-for-small-jobs&highlight=bonel

Stephen has one so do I. (Post 123 in that thread) His is 18hp I think and mine is 13hp Honda.

Hadn't used it in years but I'm sure glad I didn't sell it, been using it quite a bit lately as my other chipper is in Sydney. It's made me quite a few dollars over the years, bought it March '95 and it still goes well and I've put some stuff through it. Just need to keep the knives sharp.

^I am pretty sure I would be asked to leave 99% of my jobs if I showed up with that setup. But I do mostly removals.

I have thought about the small chipper but in reality I just can't make the numbers work in my area.

I own one that I've never used, its a 4 inch 18hp Greenmech. I was slashing (chainsaw chipping) at the time so it seemed like a good idea, the machine would have fit onto the trailer draw bar. Then business picked up and using it would have been inefficient. I think there are some good little machines available and whilst not toys they are still niche equipment for tight access jobs.

This one is a Chinese multibrand and is actually on the cheap side. Several sellers in France have it at different prices on our local Craig List. I don't know how it works and the quality.
The next on the price scale are about 3 time more expensive, coming from Italy or Holland.
Next level is around 7000$ with several makers like Rajo, RGO...

All are on the same basic concept : 2 wheels, a small engine, a rotor and that's it.
The drive is like a wheelbarrow, and no nostress, the feeding is hand made.
They can do quite a nice job if you have to cut out the firewood, even if that takes obviously more time than a big chipper. They are a dream for the tight access. Many times, I went through basements and service corridors with mine. Once, I went through an apartment in town, strange feeling.

After that, some are more sophisticated, just a little bigger but can still pass through a garden gate, same horsepower, with an hydraulic feeder, 2 driving wheels or even tracks. You need to add many grands to get that. Awesome (and expensive) little machines.

I have a tiny 8hp shredder/chipper. Great for those small leave the chips in the back yard jobs. I fooled with the carb a bit, keep the knives sharp to keep it working at a reasonable pace. I'm going to make it towable, less bending over, and make a small feed tray to keep pieces from tipping out and not feeding in. The right branches will nearly feed itself. Not ideal, but it's what I have had before I was serious with the tree work. If money finds me, I'd go up 13hp and a little above. People around here keep the chips and don't/can't pay for hauling away.

I've wanted on for years for those down the hill jobs that are in natural areas. Thankfully we only get one or two of those a year and have not had a real need for one yet. I think in the right situation they would be very handy. I've used one in the past that was terrible and a huge pain to feed but I would imagine a good quality chipper would work much better.

Mine is a 24 horse. Bearcat... Gets in a lot of little spots. We often move it with the mini or even a hand dollie. Trailer dolly with wheels. I'll see if I can find a couple pictures of it

Couple anyway. Through the gate, in close to the work.

Attachments

• tmp_21062-20161005_091618-1499843779.jpg
    tmp_21062-20161005_091618-1499843779.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 28
  • tmp_21062-20161005_1329392143734743.jpg
    tmp_21062-20161005_1329392143734743.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 27
Damn, so I'm guessing that this 9hp one I'm looking at will not cut the mustard.

no way, my dr was 18 hp and it was brutal. it definitly advanced the arthritis in my hands by at least a decade. a big maple removal was actually much more preferable than a crab apple or gnarly hawthorne pruning. it would eat up a nice straight limb.

Good to know! So 24 minimum? We are 90% or more pruning, for what it's worth.

Curious to know, how did it advance your arthritis? Just too many reps stuff branches in?

I'm guessing the vibrations from stuffing branches in.
As I could see a niche market for these, I would rather drag out of a tight area than force feed something ever again. Feed wheels are a great thing.

I was wondering too. Do you feel like you have arthritis from too much working/treework, or just from life/age or what?

My right hand gets shot-feeling easily. Part of it I think is due to back in the day I had a hand crushing handshake contest with a 300 lb guy, I gave up and he kept going. Ever since then, intermittently, my hand will act up a lot and the one thing that sets it off the most is shaking hands with someone.

Back