This used to be a tree workers forum.

A customer has a masonry heat sink type of wood stove. Very cool.

I've been busy.

Did a view prune and steep bank job with my new guy. Solid looking guy. Used to working high production, lower safety 12 man manual crews. Lots of "wind sailing" to let the wind through... Once the thing to do, but science doesn't support it. He is excited about a mini.

My regular employee has a few days before starting Union steel rigging for some time, with some layoffs. He'll work as available.

Rigging down a Port Orford cedar/ Lawson's Cypress tomorrow from over the corner of a house. Maybe root disease starting in. Stump to grind. Two cable and brace systems in two other POCs. New wire terminations to try, at Willie and Momo's recommendation.

Pretty much our plight here as well. Too much time on my hands. Rain and snow for 5 days, then 5-6 days of work in slop. Nothing freezing and treacherous driving if it does. So chill at home, wait for a break, run out, slay some trees in the mud. Took one down for a custy today and ran home. Cypress leaning over a pump house and towards the main house. Simple though. Shot a line in and pulled it over. Got wet and nasty and came home so the kiddos could play in the snow we got at the house. 1000 foot plus diffy in elevation. I have a loader and an excavator waiting on site to deck logs. And they may sit a lot longer if this weather keeps up. 500.00 move in each direction. I need them to work for a while. I think we got 10-14 days work in a month due to weather. Sux ass.
Just be happy you don't have the freeze thaw mud it's a very different type of mud thin like water and highly abrasive. Plus the time cleaning out the tracks on the mini everyday because if you are in the mud and it freezes they lock up solid over night. Tis the season. Oh well 5 more weeks.

Got a couple day job w a bit of Climbing , mostly pull Trees ... Cold almost crappy out. Current Snow cover is mealy and is like doing Treework on the beach. Grateful though.

I've been keeping reasonably busy this winter. Three jobs lined up right now and the pastor at the chruch (I don't go to chruch) wants a hand full of business cards. . . but the warm weather is slowing everything down. Ground got soft.

Just be happy you don't have the freeze thaw mud it's a very different type of mud thin like water and highly abrasive. Plus the time cleaning out the tracks on the mini everyday because if you are in the mud and it freezes they lock up solid over night. Tis the season. Oh well 5 more weeks.

Yeah, it does not freeze all the way, just freezes kinda of stiff, like a stiff meringue. Takes a bit to get it thawed and then the mini speeds up. We have used a weed torch to thaw the totally frozen mud if we get lower temps.

Just saying like.

Not a lot of it on here lately.

I agree and am part of the problem. In fairness, how many times can you post pics of a climbing hitch or dismantling bits of wood called trees? I mean, really?

I come here just because I started my career in the trees, had a passion for trees, and like others that do as well. It is a reminder of where I come from. I remember doing tree work and thinking it was my everything. My work has changed, but the hunger, interest, and hard work ethic I learned via tree work has served me well in career 2.0.

Just saying like.

Not a lot of it on here lately.

Could it be partly seasonal?

Some folks slow down in the holidays or winter and maybe their sample and ideas are more intermittent.

Yeah, isn't is seasonal. Where are all of those snowplowing threads that used to fill up the forums in winter. I used to hate that.

Always seems like more flame wars in winter :P

Back