This used to be a tree workers forum.

Not really tree work, but I think I am going to try to talk the hired man into bringing me a bunch of firewood logs. He has a skid steer with a rock grapple now and can lift 2500 pounds.

He has been hauling 30 foot logs home to cut for himself.

If he hauled some out I could buck them up to the right size and stack them in the shed.

I dont burn wood, but it seems like having a couple cords around would be handy.

Be nice to fire up my MS 460 and warm it up.

Kinda funny, that 460 is why I joined this site......looking for information and opinion.

Same here. There's only so much you can say when nothings happening.

Or even when it is.
We are busy as hell, logging, but that is just more of the same every day, not something exiting to post about.
Does fill up the money bin nicely, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know, but the presidential thing had ripped through it like some kind of nerve gas.

4 or 5 threads all talking about the same thing.

FFZ, All the talk about self sufficiency and you don't burn wood?? Wth?

I understand the concept of using what one has a lot of and there basically isn't a tree for miles and miles around you, but, not burning wood? Sacrilege. In this day and age of modern transportation, there's no excuse. Btw, wear chaps. :drink:

It something I have thought about for years. I am still trying to figure out how to get all that wood back from over west that Tom/Big Twig offered me.

I think it would take ripping out my fireplace and putting an insert in.

Other than that I have few options, other than my old cook stove, or I could put a stove in the basement.

I already have an old ass stove in the basement, but it would not be very effective in heating the house.

Hired man said he can get 4 cords or so on his trailer.....think I will take him up on that.

Chaps? Ha! I am a bloody class A sawyer! I have the right gear.

Class A being the lowest level.........C being highest in the Wild Land world.

Cool.

Wood heat tends to be a lot of work but we know you aint afraid of that, word is you can lie down right next to it and go to sleep...

But if you have the willingness and the wood, the heat is awesome.

If you don't have the perfect option, just start small and see what develops. And ash Squish

Masonry heaters are a great way to heat efficiently using wood. Takes a bit to install but it's well worth it from what I know.

I am sitting on my ass watching my girls for the winter until the end of February not much to say and besides even if we were running I wouldn't have much to post, it's slop central out there. Mud mud and more mud hell it might be spring before we start up again. This winter has been all jacked.

Pretty much our plight here as well. Too much time on my hands. Rain and snow for 5 days, then 5-6 days of work in slop. Nothing freezing and treacherous driving if it does. So chill at home, wait for a break, run out, slay some trees in the mud. Took one down for a custy today and ran home. Cypress leaning over a pump house and towards the main house. Simple though. Shot a line in and pulled it over. Got wet and nasty and came home so the kiddos could play in the snow we got at the house. 1000 foot plus diffy in elevation. I have a loader and an excavator waiting on site to deck logs. And they may sit a lot longer if this weather keeps up. 500.00 move in each direction. I need them to work for a while. I think we got 10-14 days work in a month due to weather. Sux ass.

Masonry heaters are a great way to heat efficiently using wood. Takes a bit to install but it's well worth it from what I know.

Masonry heaters seem to be a burgeoning market within the woodburning world. They are impressive but must be designed and built properly. They can get quite expensive I think compared to a normal stove. Not to mention the mass of them. I seem to read about them more in new construction than as a retrofit.

True You would have to seriously remodel to have one as a retrofit! They seem legit, I've read about ones that you only have to burn a small bit of wood a few times a day to heat you space. Like you said though, properly designed and built.

Back