This used to be a tree workers forum.

Comment like that Justin.......you can just forget about you and me living alone together in the hills......all by ourselves...moonlit walks by the lake.

Jim! I'm crushed. .....you know I'm just a whiny hobby farmer now. So not even in yOur league anyways.

Thanks Cory. Your welcome anytime. Not sure about large, pretty adequately though. I never evolved much, I try to do things like my grandparents did. Simple stuff, like fresh scratch biscuits and warming up the honey jar.

Alright Justin.....I forgive you.

You know, I am quite a catch. I can cook, clean......I keep house pretty well, as I have rediscovered this week during my wife's absence.

True about Winter Tree Work here. Used to be Patroller or Snowmaker at the heartless resort for pennies just get through. Logging gig w good conditions in the woods is preferable. Big Snow and I am up on roofs shoveling. Did one small removal last week though.

What do patrollers or snow makers earn? How bout cat drivers. Those are amazing machines.

... After a few years , you can earn $10.00 - $11.50 / hr. , Plus a Ski pass w food and retail discount. Ski pass usually good at some other areas and industry rate Tix (usually just above half price) at any area w a letter from manager. Not a great deal but I miss Skiing some being out for awhile. Cats , same deal.

Yup, that's not much. But whatever, if you love it.

What about the cat drivers, do they make a lil more?

Yo, give us a quick story about what you've seen the snow cats do, you must have seen some sights over the years. Thanks.

Just growing up around the sport especially the big growth years have seen alot of the Cats , been in some and drove some hydrostatic a little bit. On this hill in the 1960's into the '70's there were Tucker's with Gas engines.

Oh I remember those Tuckers, they were generally orange color, right?

I find it slow here this time of year but I need a slow time of year. I'm just happy to read everyone here is doing ok. I'm still putting in stupid hours but it's just kinda drudgery this time of year. I hope to give everyone something to chat about soon, but I need to do something worth mentioning first. Still the best forum I visit. And the only one I visit daily.

Why is it drudgery this time of year. I mean I can guess, but just wondering. I think it would be awesome to be super busy this time of year. Unless of course one is already burnt from from the busy 3 seasons.

Shitty weather is probably the biggest part. Something about leaving before sun up and getting back after sunset. That and it seems at the moment that Al Gore might have been right( 60*f in Ohio in January) doesn't help when you've got deadlines on contracts and the damned EPA calls every area that is damp a freaking "protected wetland" that you can not disturb (even though they will be digging through it in a week), might be considered drudgery. I got to have some dipshit out there looking for turtles and frogs and bats,and in a week there will be an excavator digging a 6'deep trench through there.
Honestly, as many can agree, it's cold, dark,and damp right now. Kind of like living in bloody England. It's a slow time for most and for me it's just nothing great, just ROW work that would be fine if everyone wasn't pissed off about it.

And not burnt out quite yet but I think back to the days when one was collecting unemployment in the winter. Maybe there was a reason we were considered seasonal work.:/:

Makes sense.

I agree that starting in near dark in the morning totally sucks. It seems the afternoons are longer but the mornings the sun is coming up no earlier. go figure.

Around here, January is traditionally the slowest month concerning treework. Everyone's getting over the holidays and the last thing on their minds are their trees.

See, Mick? We still talk about treework!

And not burnt out quite yet but I think back to the days when one was collecting unemployment in the winter. Maybe there was a reason we were considered seasonal work.:/:

That must have been nice taking Winter off. We used to just cut down to 8 hour days.

... Kind of like living in bloody England.

Haha. I'll have you know we have had the great burning orb in the sky recently. Wake up to Jack Frost and his pals. Fresh cloudless skies and about -2*C.

BUT I get what you mean. Normally it is wet and damp here. The sort of cold that gets to your bones even though it actually isn't that far down on the scale.

I am sitting on my ass watching my girls for the winter until the end of February not much to say and besides even if we were running I wouldn't have much to post, it's slop central out there. Mud mud and more mud hell it might be spring before we start up again. This winter has been all jacked.

Lost a flop and firewood today, custy's yard is slop and he doesn't want to wreck his grass. Hope it cools off soon, looks like next week might be a go, if he doesn't change his mind.

Around here, January is traditionally the slowest month concerning treework. Everyone's getting over the holidays and the last thing on their minds are their trees.

See, Mick? We still talk about treework!

Same here. There's only so much you can say when nothings happening.

Back