Friction cord - polyester or nylon?

tpcollins

TreeHouser
This forum helped me out immensely when I made new lifeline for my tree stand hunting. I had gotten some 7mm or 8mm friction rope that was really soft and supple that stays so even when left out in the weather. Then I bought some more cord at REI which looked ok in the beginning but became very stiff and wouldn't grip as well when exposed to weather.

I've searched online for the differences between polyester and nylon sheath cordage when exposed to the elements but didn't really find that exact information. Just wonder what are the thoughts are here on the Treehouse as to their preference of polyester versus nylon sheath cord? Thanks.

I prefer a mix including high strength and higher heat rating strands. If it was a choice only between poly and nylon, if the price and strength is right, I wouldn't pass up one over the other. Poly is usually better with UV protection and performing with water.

Describe what you're doing with the line more....

but regardless- polyester is better :) better UV resistance and it doesn't absorb water the way nylon does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Describe what you're doing with the line more....

but regardless- polyester is better :) better UV resistance and it doesn't absorb water the way nylon does.

Thanks Nick, here is a pic of one of my setups. However, I have switched all of my Klemheist lanyards to a double eye on the ends (split tails) to have a double bight for the carabiner instead of just one like pictured. The issue still is which works best when left out for 3 months in the weather. The one pictured as well as a couple others stay soft throughout those 3 months, whereas another brand got stiff and doesn't grip as well after being out doors, and seemed to have taken a "set" in the cordage.

Since my lifelines extend off a 1/2" screw link, they stay up for 3 months and each has a Klenheist cord attached so all I have to do in the dark mornings is hook up and climb. Just trying to understand if the cord that stays supple in the elements is polyester or nylon. Thanks.

I may have found my answer - this is the cordage I bought at REI and is what got really still when exposed to the elements. It says it's nylon so I guess I have my answer.

https://www.rei.com/product/830949/...xPiQI9p2l51g1yKNXsw6O9Pp1cq1_oTl04xoCqfDw_wcB

i think the 4 basic differances Nylon vs. Polyester, each point to Polyester in this usage:
1>as Nick says Polyester has better UV resistance.
2>Also ; As nylon slurps up 1/2 it's weight in water ratings drop.
3>And Polyester better abrasion resistance >> of particular concern in this usage of constant high frictions on 1 area
4>Polyester less dynamic stretch >> of particular concern in this usage;
>>cord too short to give dynamics to system anyway, would get that from host line or anchor etc.
>>but can be harder to work hitch loose to move if stretched closed around host
Would favor a range of 50-75% host diameter for cord.
>>larger than 75% host diam. doesn't grab rite, less can seize too easily to make less workable fer us.
Single leg of host support delivering to 2 legs of cord support about 1/2 host diameter
>> is fair rough math for even weakness of chain.
These are tight bights by cord around host; the stiffer the cord the less 'strength' as turns tight bight and compressed fibers in cord on tight turn wouldn't carry load/so cord weaker, the way i see it. Stiffer cord, more resistance to tight bight, the more compressed fibers, when only tensioned fibers can be used.
Spliced perm.eyes rule, Double Noose i favor for temp.eye; favour crossing outer Turn of Dbl.Noose over inner to solidify and make more stable.similar reasons for same in Dbl.Fisherman's: Dbl. is stronger, favour crossing Working End over 1st Turn of Round Turn for Dbl.Fisherman's
i favour eye to eye builds rather than sling shown (personal preference, sling still 2 legs of support)
>>seize down Bitt.end w/tape for extra security
Round Turn of Dbl.Noose gives back some 'strength';
>> that is lost from the bend of the 1st Turn bending Standing Part, deforming form 'pure inline'
>>as the 2nd Turn(RT) then hugs the deformity and 'manages' it better, giving it less 'impact of change'(?)
i visualize difference between TV power cord bend going into system
>> or upgraded to grommet, managing/softening/allowing less impact of change from bend of cord into system
(but then i also visualize rope carrying tension as a kin to water pressure in a hose or electrical 'pressure' in a wire..)
Animals can chew ropes left overnite etc.
Polyester/Nylon pretty chemical stable, but notably feline uric acid very bad!
>>Constantly treat Life equipment as dear friend that saves life; almost Holy
>> every day, in every way, so permeates very Naturally thru everything you do..
Put lifeline in with throwline, pull throwline back into place with lifeline at nite, leave that in over nite.
>> when ready put lifeline back into place with throwline already there.

i think we'd favour facing krab gate away from hard surface

We should be looking at your setup. The question should be "how can I refine my setup so that I don't have to leave ropes up for 3 months."

There's a way. It will likely involve throwline being left in the trees. A tag line.

Leaving ropes up for 3 months then putting your life on it: too risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We should be looking at your setup. The question should be "how can I refine my setup so that I don't have to leave ropes up for 3 months."

There's a way. It will likely involve throwline being left in the trees. A tag line.

Leaving ropes up for 3 months then putting your life on it: too risky.

I appreciate and understand the concern. All my lifeline hang from a 1/2" screw link attached via 3/8" steel cable or a 3/8" log chain around the tree. I pulled them all down the other day and inspected them all and they were fine. I even use rope thimbles just because. :)

Thanks Treespyder - good read.

Back