English Trucker's Hitch

TreeMuggs

Treehouser
My favourite version of the trucker's hitch. This was shown to me by an Englishman, so I have always referred to it as the English Trucker's Hitch. For my first 3 years in the trade, this was our only mechanical advantage setup. We didn't use a fiddle block or come-along. We got everything done with just this, including pulling a 40hp stump grinder up a hill in the rain after it had slid down sideways in the mud, just 3 guys with the trucker's hitch. It's a beauty.

And yes, I realize I said 'coolest' twice in this video, which is kind of laughable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CjGIxQQRmrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Muggs. I do the same thing with a overhand knot but they're hard to untie after a good load is applied, thanks again.

One of the coolest tricks I've ever seen in my stinkin life. I've done it with a bowline on a bight for years and years, but yer way smokes mine all stinkin day.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that. I tie mine with a bowline also and will probably continue to do so. The reason being that it is fast also; but more important to me, is that I don't have to worry about it falling apart if it goes slack in between pulls.

I like that. Quick and lightweight. Definitely easy to untie. Another one to mess with on my own and keep in the bag. Thank you for posting this.

Very good explanation vid. Got shown that quite a few years ago by a guy loading furniture into a truck, but he was Asian, not English. Pretty consistently used all over by many many guys in my part of the world. I use it when loading my truck, but usually with just a single wrap and holding it in place so it doesn't slip until the bite and cinches down. Two wraps is good like you show.

As with any version of a trucker's hitch, and as DMc so accurately noted, the need to keep tension on the system to keep it from falling apart prematurely is the only fly in the otherwise fine ointment.

Another observation: if we drop a carabiner into any or all of the MA providing loops to run the line on instead of a fiber on fiber interface, the effort is easier and the loss of potential power to friction is reduced...at the cost of not being able to shake the whole mess loose from the tail :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yessir, like the sheepshank, this version of the truckers hitch does indeed fall apart in the absence of tension. But that is really the point, you can expose it to as much of a pull as you want, even with 4 or 5 guys, and it will always just evaporate into nothing when you are finished.
As far as the rope-on-rope friction is concerned, in many ways you can see it as beneficial in that it acts as a progress capture. In other words, you put a tremendous pull on the line, and the friction acts as a keeper.

Like I say, this really is the only form of mechanical advantage that I used for 3 years, and it worked every time. I'm not saying that I wasn't thankful to get a fiddle block. I may not use the English Trucker's Hitch that much any more, but in a pinch, it can be a real lifesaver. I hope you will give it a try.

Yessir, like the sheepshank, this version of the truckers hitch does indeed fall apart in the absence of tension. But that is really the point, you can expose it to as much of a pull as you want, even with 4 or 5 guys, and it will always just evaporate into nothing when you are finished.
As far as the rope-on-rope friction is concerned, in many ways you can see it as beneficial in that it acts as a progress capture. In other words, you put a tremendous pull on the line, and the friction acts as a keeper.

Like I say, this really is the only form of mechanical advantage that I used for 3 years, and it worked every time. I'm not saying that I wasn't thankful to get a fiddle block. I may not use the English Trucker's Hitch that much any more, but in a pinch, it can be a real lifesaver. I hope you will give it a try.

No argument from me, and no intention of seeming to call into question the values you articulate. But I'll point out again, your "tremendous pull" is lower than it would be with less rope on rope friction. For me, I'd make that trade if the pull needed to go big...I can think of a way or two to hold gain, though they would complicate the whole rigging. And your offering is magnificent in it's effective simplicity, that's worth a lot in the real world.

Similar to what I use but mine doesn't come apart without tension but still unties easily.

Been using it for years, doubled up or tripled you can pull just about anything. I carted cardboard for a while years ago, talk about slippery. Pre ratchet straps and loads had to be really tight, always triple.

To stop this one coming apart if you don't want it to just put a sort of half hitch with that big loop, it won't tighten up but it'll stop it coming undone.

Good video Muggs.

I wanted to bump this discussion. I have been doing a random survey of YouTube videos on this subject. I noticed several things:
1) There are as many versions as there are secure mid-line loops! (Plus all the insecure ones!)

2) that very few of them are from tree people. I think that is because you are too busy working to make videos! The ones I have found from tree people are from Patrick aka TreeMuggs aka Educated Climber (the original poster of this thread) and one from Biggun. Notice they are the same variant!

3) A lot of the videos seem to be by knot enthusiasts of the camping, bushcraft sort. Lots of use for ridgelines, hammocks etc.

4) The biggest group of videos from and for professional users of the Truckers Hitch (Truckies Hitch/Dolly Knot/Carters Hitch/Wagonners Hitch) seem to be truck driving training videos. Mostly from Australia but also from UK. It looks like in order to pass the test drivers must know how to restrain their load with modern devices but also the tried and true ancient method. It also looks like the training is fairly uniform except that they use different variants of the knot!
I found one I like because of the slick method for tying it and because it seems very secure but still melts away after tension is released.
I say I like this version but I don’t mean to disrespect Patrick and Bigguns version in the least. I have only used this to tie down loads. Never pulling trees.

TY once again Muggs.
The version shown; to me mechanically employs as like an Awning Hitch Lesson#1854/pg.310 in tinyurl.com/abok-online. Shows as kicking to trigger release for that use. Seen this as you show for farmers and truckers, where the eye can be set higher than normal reach in loading, to then be able to undo from ground when out of reach at delivery from over a load quick/clean/go git another load... Trailer/Truck bed may have small hooks ready, instead of carabiner. Good to slap line as if to sweat Zrig side in making, to equalize force across top and opposing side. If don't, may self equalize thru travel vibrations to all around looser than tightened.
For our usages, many times a self tending Prussic can be truly magical addition to maintain 'purchase'(ABoK) of pulled rope to reserves of slack bank. Without safety Prussic reserve/banked line can also be paid out/drawn from to lower, until overdrawn/bankrupt/crash..
Another trick is to put that Round Turn crossed on self; inside the eye too and when get it right can pull and self locks for light /temp duty in similar Awning Hitch fashion. This Awning strategy of crossed instead of regular Round Turn subtlety defines Lesson#1855 MidShipMan's Hitch (Awning/crossed) vs. #1866 Rolling Hitch(Round Turn not crossing self). #1877 again reminds more of a reverse 'Cow' type finish at end gives anti-torque in knots(rather than continuous direction torqueing and also harder untie). Taking these as lessons/recipes, can find 1 'spice' and bring or see in another place like this.
The input of Zrig runs faster, over longer range than the output; as this is a converter like a gearbox ; where also reversing system can get load to move over more distance in same time for faster/but can't pull as much. Have used for pulling up hills from truck on top, but not enough run for truck, but truck(my mule) has more power than needed for task. To this view, systems simply swap velocity and force, as like transmission; where motor is called 'power plant' with narrow powerband made wider to usage, just as doing here with Zrigs etc. from finite , narrow powerband of hand pull. Zrigs have 1x,2x,3x positions exposed, can rotate which is input, output, anchor to extrude different effects. These are all mechanics we manufacture on the fly, in rope. Other materials might end up drilling, grinding, melting, pounding etc. for days to make power and/or speed leveraging tools, then there is rope, so deceptively simple !
3x3=9, iff input is inline and then less friction. (iff='if and only if' logics abbrev.)
This is for adding 1 system on another, serially/daisy chain like.
But, can inset, so inner system pulls on outer from 2 not 1 input positions, using the inner system force usually 'wasted' on to an anchor(not pulling on load), instead made to be a 2nd input (of lesser value) inside other system, to greater output of force, but less speed per "trade laws".
Doing this just with hands at proper points on Zrig gives 4x effort potential against load now !
>>then inset that in another !
Different_ways_of_handing_a_pulley_system_to_get_different_outputs.png

Note when a system is totally 'closed circle' , both hands used as shown; the 2x and 3x outputs of Zrig on anchor and load, now are BOTH 4x; which can be double edged sword of both curse and/or gift in scenario as upgrade anchor pull from 2x to 4x; but then ca also inset that inside another system !
Whenever get as iron rigid as can, by whatever method, for last impact pulse can shear across the made rigidity as if to sweat/swig; the response will be high amplitude. The more rigid made the rope tightened first linearly/along it's length , the less rubbery response back from the leverage on the iron like stiffened rope sheared across it's length with force.

The turn/trap comes out/unhooks self from Sheepshank i think, as does Bowline when too much freedom/not stiff enough against not coming out/unhooking the input/output legs in the Half-Hitch (continuous form) and destabilizes at first opportunity i think.
half-hitch-lengthwise-tension-pattern-differance-theory.png

The actual subject of this pic is another pruf to me of force in straight lines, prefers to even skip loop when can as 2nd drawing in above pic.
Eye would make think more force goes thru curve than skips curve(1st drawing in pic above); i don't think that is true-est.
How i try to approach new theories:
erasing-the-whole-brain-eqrtar3xlg3bc088.webp

Back