Guying a big log

From my armchair, I'm trying to stack the odds for my own future need by analyzing it.

Cycles to failure on rigging, too.

Obviously, you're much more experienced at catching big, dynamic loads in target-rich environments. IMG_20170113_095247908.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that Sean. No doubt itd work and live to fight another day.

You could add an infinite amount of lines and fail safes, to be sure....but at some point you draw the line at what is practical and cost effective. I could gained a strength advantage even by wrapping the lines around the log from left to right, instead of right to left before setting the bowlines....but then it would've been harder to initially get the logs rolling down the hill thereafter. Thankfully I didn't live to regret it :)

"Wrapping the logs". I saw what I thought was an interesting depiction in a falling manual that was showing ways to deal with hung up trees. The text is aimed at beginners and emphasizes the safest ways to do tree work, sometimes not even mentioning what a lot of professionals do. It was cautioning against sectioning down the hanger, I think what most of us use. The little character in the drawing had taken a number of wraps around the tree then taken the line back to his anchor point where he had a puller. Pulling the tree had it rotate and hopefully away from the one it was hung up in. Obviously limbs and such could inhibit success, and possibly a lack of expediency factor, but it seemed like a cool idea none the less.

Jay, that's how I was taught to take down larger hung up trees, ones you can't rotate with a cant hook...wrap it and roll it.
You have to decide if the crown will get stuck in the roll...if so you have to end up winching it out butt first. that's when cutting ALAP comes in handy, no stump to get stuck on coming backward.

So it's worked for you, Fiona, that's real cool to know. I'd like to try it when the opportunity presents.

I had 2 × 3/4 lines and I x 5/8. Yale, Samson and Teufelberger....all pretty stretchy.

Fun to watch.. the size of that tree made those lines look like 1/2".... best gem on the video is sharing the customer service ethic.... It keeps the phone ringing!

An important note is is the DZ was level with the stump across the side of the hill... ground took the major impact and there was very little force directed down the hill thereafter, relative to the amount of force that can be generated when the fall is gunned even slightly downhill.

We don't deal with those kind of grades on the east coast (THANK GOD)..... I have set up crossed padding logs on a hill to "change the grade" of the dz and make it point uphill with some success, but not on anything that big or a grade that steep... that's one difference between suburban tree work and logging that is an important distinction. the sheer mass of the tree loggers deal with, and the forces they generate during falling, change the rules of the game significantly.

Great vid!

Back