Guying a big log

RegC

TreeHouser
and some other stuff. Use HD setting. Thanks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/24UFjjAbwsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good stuff. I remember you posting some pics of that before. Well at least I think so. Anyway, good way to think about customers, yourself, and your company.

Even though your a very confident man, you got to admit that dropping that spar was a "puckering" experience.

Well done Reg. Some good work done on that project. I would have been holding my breath watching if both lines held. Of course the crew would have thought I was cool as ice... :lol:

That was awesome, RC. I was hoping for a vid from you any day now.

The very beginning was artful.

So you chipped everything and, what, log truck for the wood?

The vid production ( if that's what's it called) was great, narration on top of stills and vid.

Great to hear your thoughts on a job that runs over the time estimated.

So I'm not completely clear on how you kept the lines evenly tight given their different elevations on the trunk. How'd you guard against 'zippering'- one taking all the weight and breaking, thus transferring all the weight to the next one, etc. Also, I would think it would be tricky with all the surrounding timber to have adequate space for the lines to move with the falling tree without getting hung up prematurely.

Were they clearing to build something, or just hacking back the encroaching jungle?

Than you sir.

Impressive to say the least !

So I'm not completely clear on how you kept the lines evenly tight given their different elevations on the trunk. How'd you guard against 'zippering'- one taking all the weight and breaking, thus transferring all the weight to the next one, etc. Also, I would think it would be tricky with all the surrounding timber to have adequate space for the lines to move with the falling tree without getting hung up prematurely.

I too, am wondering this, by watching the video over it looks like the lines were more dynamic then a standard bull line... were they climbing lines perhaps? I am thinking the extra stretch would help "absorb" some of the difference and help with the shock load forces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all.

I had 2 × 3/4 lines and I x 5/8. Yale, Samson and Teufelberger....all pretty stretchy.

The highest line was just a failsafe in case the top broke loose....which it did but without going anywhere. The Bottom 2 did the work.

The homeowner delt with all the lumber....I just had to leave them safe and accessible. He'd put a road in at the bottom, but was worried about the whole front row of trees since scaping away such a big area of the embankment. He does intend to replant.

Cory I set the lines on the log relative to their ground anchors, and the direction of fall. It looked right when I set it up, so I didn't over think it. As you can see, it worked out fine.

I remember seeing this job on the TH. I like the Cory question and also the answer. I've stopped some massive forces a few times, some which resembled the Gulivers Travels tie-down.

As you can see, it worked out fine.

For sure. I was thinking it might also work if the ropes were tied to the same (failsafe) anchor, might be easier to account for the various angles and tensions. But plan A worked perfect.

That must have been a bit gripping for you before the tree hit and stayed put, in case it didn't work.

Could you have anchored at the base of the anchor trees, perhaps with a tensionless anchor, gone to the spar and taken a couple turns and then back to the anchor point with another tensionless anchor, or bowline/ running bowline/ double-hole bowline?

We considered this once for a Parks tree that was terrible, and immediately next to a water treatment facility. We didn't take that one on during my stay. I was figuring this would be 3-4 times as strong by using two legs and no knots.

Seems like if it broke, it would have been pretty catastrophic.

Clearly this worked. Seems like it might be heavy work even on heavy rigging. Hella big tree.

We've left extended branch stubs for some help on a slope before.

Could you have anchored at the base of the anchor trees, perhaps with a tensionless anchor, gone to the spar and taken a couple turns and then back to the anchor point with another tensionless anchor, or bowline/ running bowline/ double-hole bowline?

That sounds like a real good idea, too.

You can't really set a tensionless anchor to avoid bending the rope on a moving object as you can with a stump. It will always rotate, as a RB will.

I wonder if a round-turn before the RB helps????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You'd have to draw that for me, Sean. But no doubt, there's lots of other ways to set it up. I was happy that there was plenty stretch in the line, due to the distance between the log and ground anchors. And I took an extra turn around the log before setting a running bowling.....so not a huge amount of bite at the knots. Consider also that those lines were positioned and set to hold back the logs as I winches them down the hill thereafter. So, I needed to keep it simple.

Appreciate and share the quality job ethic even when the hours tilt against the fixed bid. If had a dollar for every extra hour I worked to hang onto quality... Wait a minute

:lol:
Pretty impressive, but not as much as the landing of the big spar. Even if I knew the result before viewing the vid, I really felt the moment, hold my breath and had a void inside me!

Back