Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Km III for lanyard?

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Yeah, that was fun. ummmmmm.....
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Thank you all for your input. I should have mentioned I was thinking about the 1/2" kmIII. I will give 5he tritech a look.

Thanks.

Zane

If small is one you are looking for let me throw HTP in the mix. Super stiff and abrasion resistant.

Treehouser Sponsor

Personally, I like my 5/8" SC flipline much more than 1/2", and way more than 11.7mm Poison Ivy for grip.

If I'm going more for flip-line, I'd go thicker. Climb line, smaller, and use foot ascenders if you have a lot of climbing to do.

My hands got worked on this last big tree, and still a bit stiff, from when I was using 1 foot ascender and taking big steps, rather than small steps and more upright with a rope walker, plus grabbing a 11.7 DdRT as my lanyard.

Different tools for different climbs saves your body.

I have several lanyards made from KMIII, about 15 to 18 feet long. Mine are full 1/2 inch, not a small diameter like Jerry mentioned. I disagree with Jerry that it won't roll, at least in the 1/2 inch it will pretty well. Stiff enough to flip, too. Obviously, Jer is speaking of a different animal...9mm is skinny; great for old school SRT, but not really what Gypo is asking about if I get the gist correctly.

For most full on flipline use, like Sean I like a 5/8 inch cable cored polyester braid, but as a second flip line for limb-overs, I like my KMIII real well. And for a regular rope lanyard, the KMIII that I have made up are very satisfactory for me.

I have them set up with snaphooks on one end, and adjusted with either self-tending prusik hitch, ART Positioner, or Petzl Microjuster.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Exactly my intended use B.

Only I run 3/4 steel core for flipper. Much easier on hands if your climbing on spurs all day. Try one if ya get a chance, I had 5/8 before and much prefer the 3/4. I too run the petzl adjuster.

Thanks for the info on the kmIII. Sounds like you and I both like the thicker cordage for lanyards. I have a CE lanyard and love the concept, but its too thin and hurts me hands. ; )

Yep, the CE lanyard is a sweet tool, but I can't use one, just too skinny.

I used 3/4 inch for many a year back in the long gone manila cable cored days that some of us oldsters will recall , and you are right in that it is very easy on the hands...but those days were before the sticky gloves like Atlas came on the market.

I tell you it was amazing to experience how much better grip is offered, much easier on the hands, that a high friction glove provides with smaller diameters. Not that I think 5/8 inch flip lines are hard on hands...but it does make a huge difference with 1/2 inch or smaller to have these gloves.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."