Km III for lanyard?

Gypo

TreeHouser
Often after reaching my tip and wanting to advance up the tree I use a long lanyard as a second climb line. I like at least 20'. I have been using 16 strand for its abrasion resistance, since its being natural crotched. It works fine, but then I read somewhere that km III is stiffer, which I also like when flipping up big conifers. (For years logging all I used was a 18' x 3/4 steel core, much easier on hands when on spurs for hours.)

How will kmIII last when used like this? Natural crotches and fir bark can be hard on rope. Should I try it or just by more 16 strand?

Thanks.

Zane

KM III is too stiff to roll. You can't flip it. And it's too thin, as a laynard, to hold on to for very long. As a short climbline it would be ok. It's only about 9 mm I think. I had 300 feet and used it exclusively for SRT entry into the big trees. It's was sweet for that. Funny, when we would pull it out of the tree the rope actually folded up in a pile like a paper clip. The jacket is tough. Every imaginable type ascender was used on that rope for probably 10 years, and it never picked.

The rope manufacturers keep blurring the lines, so to speak. But KM-lll is still compliant with EN 1891A which means a large part of its performance is based on toothed ascender response. Being very tuff at resisting wear from ascender use does not necessarily make it tuff at normal tree and climbing line use though. Plus kernmantles tend to be the worst ropes for knot tying as we are accustomed to in tree work.

I would think that a separate flip line paired with a long lanyard would give you the best performance.

I'll second TriTech. It's amazingly tough and casts around like magic. Also stiff enough to use as a flip line (not perfect, but it's good).

I vote three strand. That is a 20 footer. I use 5/8ths. But I can see one made out of 1/2" working for you. I have a Gibbs on mine, but works well with a prusik and tender

Attachments

• 20160906_102711.jpg
    20160906_102711.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 72
I've been real happy with a 20' tri tech as well in with 10mm armorprus VT and a Pinto. Like Sam said, it flips fairly well but not as nice as a wire core, but much more versatile.

Another vote for tritech as an all around lanyard. I would think kmiii to be similar. Nothing flips like a steel core but I have found I can get by without one anymore

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for your input. I should have mentioned I was thinking about the 1/2" kmIII. I will give 5he tritech a look.

Thanks.

Zane

If small is one you are looking for let me throw HTP in the mix. Super stiff and abrasion resistant.

Personally, I like my 5/8" SC flipline much more than 1/2", and way more than 11.7mm Poison Ivy for grip.

If I'm going more for flip-line, I'd go thicker. Climb line, smaller, and use foot ascenders if you have a lot of climbing to do.

My hands got worked on this last big tree, and still a bit stiff, from when I was using 1 foot ascender and taking big steps, rather than small steps and more upright with a rope walker, plus grabbing a 11.7 DdRT as my lanyard.

Different tools for different climbs saves your body.

I have several lanyards made from KMIII, about 15 to 18 feet long. Mine are full 1/2 inch, not a small diameter like Jerry mentioned. I disagree with Jerry that it won't roll, at least in the 1/2 inch it will pretty well. Stiff enough to flip, too. Obviously, Jer is speaking of a different animal...9mm is skinny; great for old school SRT, but not really what Gypo is asking about if I get the gist correctly.

For most full on flipline use, like Sean I like a 5/8 inch cable cored polyester braid, but as a second flip line for limb-overs, I like my KMIII real well. And for a regular rope lanyard, the KMIII that I have made up are very satisfactory for me.

I have them set up with snaphooks on one end, and adjusted with either self-tending prusik hitch, ART Positioner, or Petzl Microjuster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly my intended use B.

Only I run 3/4 steel core for flipper. Much easier on hands if your climbing on spurs all day. Try one if ya get a chance, I had 5/8 before and much prefer the 3/4. I too run the petzl adjuster.

Thanks for the info on the kmIII. Sounds like you and I both like the thicker cordage for lanyards. I have a CE lanyard and love the concept, but its too thin and hurts me hands. ; )

Yep, the CE lanyard is a sweet tool, but I can't use one, just too skinny.

I used 3/4 inch for many a year back in the long gone manila cable cored days that some of us oldsters will recall :D, and you are right in that it is very easy on the hands...but those days were before the sticky gloves like Atlas came on the market.

I tell you it was amazing to experience how much better grip is offered, much easier on the hands, that a high friction glove provides with smaller diameters. Not that I think 5/8 inch flip lines are hard on hands...but it does make a huge difference with 1/2 inch or smaller to have these gloves.

Back