Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Km III for lanyard?

Default Km III for lanyard?

Often after reaching my tip and wanting to advance up the tree I use a long lanyard as a second climb line. I like at least 20'. I have been using 16 strand for its abrasion resistance, since its being natural crotched. It works fine, but then I read somewhere that km III is stiffer, which I also like when flipping up big conifers. (For years logging all I used was a 18' x 3/4 steel core, much easier on hands when on spurs for hours.)

How will kmIII last when used like this? Natural crotches and fir bark can be hard on rope. Should I try it or just by more 16 strand?

Thanks.

Zane

Have you considered Stirling Tritech, its expensive but it has mad abrasion resistance and is pretty stiff.

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

KM III is too stiff to roll. You can't flip it. And it's too thin, as a laynard, to hold on to for very long. As a short climbline it would be ok. It's only about 9 mm I think. I had 300 feet and used it exclusively for SRT entry into the big trees. It's was sweet for that. Funny, when we would pull it out of the tree the rope actually folded up in a pile like a paper clip. The jacket is tough. Every imaginable type ascender was used on that rope for probably 10 years, and it never picked.

The rope manufacturers keep blurring the lines, so to speak. But KM-lll is still compliant with EN 1891A which means a large part of its performance is based on toothed ascender response. Being very tuff at resisting wear from ascender use does not necessarily make it tuff at normal tree and climbing line use though. Plus kernmantles tend to be the worst ropes for knot tying as we are accustomed to in tree work.

I would think that a separate flip line paired with a long lanyard would give you the best performance.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

You guys are GOOD...excellent input, Jerry and DMc.
    Gary

I'll second TriTech. It's amazingly tough and casts around like magic. Also stiff enough to use as a flip line (not perfect, but it's good).
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

I vote three strand. That is a 20 footer. I use 5/8ths. But I can see one made out of 1/2" working for you. I have a Gibbs on mine, but works well with a prusik and tender
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160906_102711.jpg  
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

I've been real happy with a 20' tri tech as well in with 10mm armorprus VT and a Pinto. Like Sam said, it flips fairly well but not as nice as a wire core, but much more versatile.
    Tom

Another vote for tritech as an all around lanyard. I would think kmiii to be similar. Nothing flips like a steel core but I have found I can get by without one anymore

That tree Stephen! Holy cow what a beast!
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A