Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Cabin is gone. Last Sequoia Tunnel Tree.

Well , now that it's fell ... Wondering , what the log quality is like. Mebbee some Heart Rot down low. Does true Old Growth Giaguntum fetch a better coin at the mill than the everyday Coast's ?

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I would think so, yes?

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Would they cut it up for lumber?
    Is this not a reasonable place to park?

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

Jim Conrad

I'm guessing no, not economical.

Ha we were in Cali ages ago, saw signs on Rt 1 for a drive-thru tree, said wth why not, drove and drove and finally got there...it was a snag about 30' tall and just barely wide enough to take theVW van thru it, the sides were really thin, tree was just barely fat enough.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

I captured this shot of the tree in 2010. Check out the sugar pine on right. Got to be at least a ten footer.

The understory in that grove (Calaveras Big Trees) is so dense in places it's impossible to get the compositions you'd like to get on the trees. As well the south grove in that park. In comparison the groves in SNP (Giant Forest) are a lot more clear under the trees. Much better shooting there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drv Thru.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	76153

Quote Originally Posted by Altissimus View Post
    Well , now that it's fell ... Wondering , what the log quality is like. Mebbee some Heart Rot down low. Does true Old Growth Giaguntum fetch a better coin at the mill than the everyday Coast's ?
    I don't think so. At least here they have huge growth rings and so much taper. Coasties have better grain even though they don't do as well
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

Very sad. I've always wanted to see some of those trees. I was just thinking the other night about trying to get out there before I'm too old to remember it. Did anyone notice the comment in the link about you can't cut a hole in a tree like that and expect it to live? 137 years is a long time. And probably would have been there several more lifetimes if not for a freak storm. I cut a 4 ft oak years ago leaning over a house. It was just a hull. Maybe 3 inches of wood in the widest point. That doesn't happen overnight. Trees can take way more than I ever thought they could.

Does anyone know the story of this tree? Why they might have cut a road through it? I always thought it may have been bad to begin with and they just widened out the bad place. Maybe not I don't know. Sad story though.

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

The hole was already burned through the tree hundreds of years before before the park came to be. The opening was adjusted so traffic could fit through. It was just an attraction in the day. The original cavity probably formed over a period of some 500 years. Give or take a hundred. The tree, I would guess some 1500 yrs.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

I'm so glad we have THE resident expert to give us perspective on the story, Thanks Gerry
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.