Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ceiling anchor point

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Default Ceiling anchor point

Heh Treehousers. I need some advice, my analysis paralysis is slipping into play. Lol.

My daughter the dancer is getting into aerials which is like a silk swing sort of. So to practice at home and her hearts desire for Christmas was her own setup she could work with to practice. Obviously very limited height wise but still endless fun I suppose for a 12 year old.

So my plan was to anchor it in the ceiling of a spare upstairs room something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1206.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	76014

Then I'm finally healthy enough today to access my attic and it's filled way up with blown in insulation. If I try to access it I feel like I'm really going to mess things up. If I even get up in that attic I'm worried I'm gonna put to much pressure on my ceiling from above.

So what sort of anchors do y'all have and what would you consider doing in this scenario. Would a anchor point lagged into the bottom of a rafter be enough? I could split it into two anchors and have one in each rafter adjacent each other but it would seem regardless that either one anchor should be able to take the weight/potential loading that a crazy kid could put on it?

Any thoughts or pics of setups that you guys have would be appreciated.

Have done some of this , always stronger and safer w grade 8 bolts backed w washer and nuts. I believe you'd be okay w Lags if you use more than one w solid penetration ... Say wasn't a member here talking awhile back about mounting X Ray or some Medical equipment ( though that was vertical surface)

3/4 inch Eye bolt right through a joist would do the trick, and then some. Might need to install it in line with the bridging.
    Peter

i would put a 4 x 4 beam between two rafters using joist hangers and bolt through that
    I don't always do firewood, but when I do I charge my customers accordingly.

Thanks alt, I was thinking for sure. More than one lag if I come up from below. Two would be relatively straight forward. My concerns with lagging from the bottom was what size to use to be strong enough but not compromise the strength of the rafter.

Thanks too Peter. I'm not quite following what you mean though? I'm not familiar with building jargon. My roof I know is rafters not trusses and my pseudo new plan is to lag into it from below. I can't go right through as I can't access it from the attic(atleast not reasonably and I'm hoping to avoid that can of worms now). It also seems to me to go right through would signifigantly weaken the board, my rafters are 2" lumber construction.

If I could access the attic, so everything above my ceiling. I would just do what I threw a picture up of in the first post. If I'm misunderstanding you mr. Shine my apologies but I assume you mean to mount that essentially in the attic.

Thanks again guys for helping me spitball this out. Appreciated.

Threaded rod with an amon eye and a 12"x12" plate would work. Where's jomo he'll know. lol

Treehouser Sponsor

I'd just use 2 2x4s, about 40-50" long as "snow shoes" for access. Through- bolt through a 4"x4"x8-10' spanning 4 rafters.

Part of aerial work is twisting up, then dynamically unfolding, with a semi-sudden stop.

What's a 12yo weigh? 70lbs?