Ceiling anchor point

A lot of talk about eyebolts in ceilings :/: it makes a guy wonder. For you daughters silk routine, sure it is, a heavy bag you say, is that what they call it these days, and how does a guy know that a single eye bolt in a rafter is bombproof?? Well tested I presume. LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A lot of talk about eyebolts in ceilings :/: it makes a guy wonder. For you daughters silk routine, sure it is, a heavy bag you say, is that what they call it these days, and how does a guy know that a single eye bolt in a rafter is bombproof?? Well tested I presume. LOL

This is what stopped me in my tracks. Lol.

So my final version of the 'plan' is to span three rafters with a 2x6 lagged in twice to each rafter with 3/8 x 3" lag screws. I may get longer lags though when I get to town later and get my eyebolts. Now I can't easily locally get rated stainless eyebolts but I can easily pick up two 1/2 steel eye bolts and I plan to use two anchors for the silks situated about centre of the distance between each rafter. The silk rigging goes on and off with biners so it can easily be stowed or used elsewhere.

I'll test it to my weight, maybe work on my routine a bit :/: and if it doesn't rip the ceiling down I'll turn my kid loosen it.

pre drill holes for the lags to avoid splitting the rafter, drill bit should be as big as the lag under the threaded part. to check hold drill bit over lag, you should see all the thread but very little of the core.

hope that makes sence, sorry if you knew 8)

So my final version of the 'plan' is to span three rafters with a 2x6 lagged in twice to each rafter with 3/8 x 3" lag screws. I may get longer lags though when I get to town later and get my eyebolts. Now I can't easily locally get rated stainless eyebolts but I can easily pick up two 1/2 steel eye bolts and I plan to use two anchors for the silks situated about centre of the distance between each rafter. The silk rigging goes on and off with biners so it can easily be stowed or used elsewhere.

I'll test it to my weight, maybe work on my routine a bit :/: and if it doesn't rip the ceiling down I'll turn my kid loosen it.
I am sure you will be just fine with that arrangement.

a thought, i would hang the silks from one anchor point, not by running them through two as it would change the over all feeling. thinking SR vs DR here.

Excellent advice guys. Thanks.

My thoughts on the two anchor vs one is that two lower anchors would simulate somewhat having one higher anchor point. To mellow out the angle that the silks come together at? As well as spread the force out some, which would be a bonus. But I think it'll be bomber enough that one or both could be used. Hopefully it's up today, I looked for my stud sensor last night but came up empty handed. I think it's in my tack room but at -20c last night and all other outdoor chores done I declined going to go back out and rummage around.

Thanks again!

Maybe I am a logger. Because I sure as hell ain't no carpenter! After careful mismeasuring based on lucking into finding one rafter I crafted a beautiful predrilled board, with six of the eight lags in the wrong spot. Dammit!!!! Well I found another rafter at a much more logical spacing. FFS. And four of the umm errmm ten lags are well and solidly into two rafters. Plus I munged up a little spot on my roof right by the board. Tore it, like a caveman. I might have been snarling and ripped that off with my teeth, can't quite remember parts of it clearly. :D

Holds me, kid is happy. I'll monitor it for now I think. Redo it to catch more rafters if I have to.

IMG_1215.jpg

I'm a sucker for all things active when it comes to my kid. I have encouraged her to take part in any type of activity she will or wants to. For me it's always worth it, no matter what. Less time exercising her thumbs on her phone the better.

I agree with that. We told Katie and Alex (when they reached about 16 years old) to choose the Outward Bound course they liked and they could go...always encouraged physical, outdoors stuff. Swimming, hiking, camping, diving (scuba for Katie, snorkeling for Alex), kayaking, shooting, climbing, fishing, martial arts, Scouts....they got good basics in all of that.

And Lindsay gave Alex a boost in construction/carpentry skills at about 15 years old. We needed gutters...got a quote. Then she told Alex that if he wanted to do the job she would buy him any tools he needed to do the work and pay for him to do it too. He read about how to do it, they went to Home Depot and got the tools, he ordered what was needed from a gutter company. That was about 15 years ago...gutters are still in place, sound and working well.

When Katie wanted her first computer Lindsay bought "Mavis Beacon" typing program for our computer...told Katie when she reached a certain (high) proficiency level she could have her own computer of her choice. She became a typing fiend and got her own kick-butt computer.

We pretty much did that for whatever skill type work they wanted to partake in...benefitted them and us very well.

Nice. I imagine that Gary's ninja training school was very complete. Cool stuff.

That's such a cool part of parenting is the dividend paid on giving when that giving is to your child. When family is working the way it was meant to be. There's no greater reward.

Mighty philosophical. Lol. This was just one in I'm sure a crazy string of things. We have a trampoline, big one, no net. Lol. A slack line and now this. What could go wrong!

Back