Dead Eye Sling with Running Bow

That was well presented Muggs, welcome. I liked the easy reset on position, not something you could do with a cow hitch. I was wondering if there might not be some fractional strength loss, but really friction plays into sling attachment so much, I doubt it would ever matter. . .

Like the website too. Cheers.

Welcome to the site Muggs :)

I use the old tried & tested timber hitch in that situation. Quick & easy to set & functions well. It does hav it's limitations with fluted stems as it relies on friction against it. In that situation I wrap the rope several times around the tree, threading it through the porty each time & tie off the end.
Thanks for taking the time as it is always nice to have another tool in the box & one I will definitely use :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the welcome Butch. I was a member here years ago, must have been 2008 or 2009. I remember getting a message that you were deleting a bunch of underactive accounts so i got axed, then i was just a creeper for a long time. Now that I feel like I have something to contribute, it's great to be back. Love the TreeHouse.

That's a good trick with big trees when the sling is too short for a cow hitch or even a timber hitch. And I can't trust a timber hitch with the porty moving so much with the loading / unloading of the rigging.
Interesting way to tie a tight bowline. I have to look at that closer.

I bought a 35 ft peice of 1 inch tenex just for this purpose. I just tied a bowline on one end that goes through the porty. Then another bowline around the tree kinda like yours. I don't think mine is that snug though. I'll have to work on that. Sometimes the 25 ft eye sling isn't big enough . Nice video. Thanks.

Good idea, muggs, welcome to the TH. One correction, however. That's a bowline, not a running bowline.

Yes, the standing part throw the bowline is limited to the splice+porty, but still, the bowline run well on the rope (very short run !).

Would it not be as simple to tie a tautline at the end, creating an adjustable version of what you tied? Just a suggestion.

If my big whoopie sling isn't long enough, I snatch it off and use a piece of 9'16" Stable Braid that's about 40' long. I tie a long loop bowline on one end to girth over the porty, then make two to four passes around the tree to use up the slack and timber hitch it off. If I want to be able to move the porty, I make several wraps with the rope alone, and attach the porty with a large shackle. On big trees, I often attach the first porty on the end of the rope, and clip a second one to two runs of the rope on the opposite side of the trunk.

I do something similar when a cow hitch won't work. I use a figure eight on a bight though instead of a running bow. I find it much easier to train guys up on and get moving with.

Would also add that for rigging the difference between a bowline and an 8 on a bight is not really enough of a difference to be an issue.

There's a major difference, it's when comes the time to untie the knot if it sustained some heavy loads.

Back