Climber/ Treeworker Injuries and Treatments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seattle and PDX airports are close. Mount Rainier and Olympic NP are short drives. I'm at the base of the Olympic peninsula. The ocean is one hour. Surfing 2.5 hours.
I have a guest room and second bathroom.

So now we know your benchmark, no mood altering drugs for you.

Normal....you will have to decide what that is. Thomas Edison was sent home at 8 years old. The teacher said he was addled in the brain. What was going on in the classroom wasn't enough for him he was continually looking out the window and imagining other things. It was the same for Einstein and all the greats.

Their minds were working, and maybe it worked against the teachers small little agenda that particular day. What I would say is not normal or healthy is when your mind works against you and your agenda.

The Doctor isn't going to tell you your lack of energy issues are all in your head and if he does you need to find another Doc for help and support. You are looking for the key that gets your body to working like you want it to and know has been in the rehlm of normal for you. Similarly you want your mind to work that way.

Do some personal research on what other people have accomplished in body and mind changes by changing their diet, even if doing it for a certain period as a test.

This research can be simple and easy going like watching some videos. One that comes to mind is Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. I can come up with some more soon.

Your answers are out there. They are simpler than you suspect I'll bet, and closer at hand. The one rub is they will probably take you and your effort rather than the effort of someone else. Oh, and not all your friends will agree and slap you on the back and say I'm going to do the same thing - there's that.

Not saying I wouldn?t try something for mood. I?ve been supplementing with 5htp for a little while now. Can?t say that it has or hasn?t helped. Also started a multivitamin a few weeks ago. Would just prefer to figure out a more natural way I guess. Or figure out what I?m doing wrong. Keep it as natural as possible and as much synthetic stuff out of me as I can.

I?ve done a bit of the research on diet exercise etc. I pitched diet soda out the window a while ago. Supposedly aspartame is bad for your mental health too.

I do have a terrible diet. But I?m working on that too.

Sean one of these days I may have to take you up on that. Heck I?d be tickled to camp outside over there!

My campsite will be shaping up. I'm reworking a spot little by little, if you can handle... 1532885655411722408064.jpg

I've got canopy-raising the foreground spruce in mind, and 5 yards of mulch loaded to spread near the camp spot down the hill.

I'm thinking of making an adirondak shelter for sleeping, and wildlife watching.

You mentioned your diet... without being obnoxious or evangelical about it...I got hold of a book called The Wheat Belly.
What an eye opener, I read it from cover to cover, am going to buy my own copy and the accompanying cookbook.
I have virtually eliminated wheat from my diet, and am trying to cut back on carbs...where possible and practical.
The bad arthritic pain I had in my hands is greatly reduced, climbing six days a week is still going to cause pain regardless of diet! My energy levels are much more consistent.
I got rid of most of those extra supplements I was taking to reduce inflammation, cinnamon, tumeric, glucosamine, olive leaf extract...because I didn't need them any more, at least not for arthritic pain.
I have lost weight, yeah I know I'm small to start with but I was getting some of that 'belly fat'.

In short, the wheat we eat today isn't our grandparent's wheat, it is so changed that the effects on our bodies is largely unknown, but many, many modern issues of health have a link, including 'brain fog' and emotional issues..according to the author, who is a Dr. The science in it is compelling.
I got my hubby to cut out as much wheat as possible too, mainly no bread, his joint pain is almost gone, and his 'love handles' are shrinking.

Even if you just borrow the book from the library, read it and draw your own conclusions, can't hurt, might help.

Wishing you all the best!

... I have virtually eliminated wheat from my diet, and am trying to cut back on carbs...where possible and practical...

Good move, Bermy! Sylvia and I have not eaten bread, wheat or any refined foods in years. What we eat has a profound effect on all aspects of health both physical and mental. We have more microbes in our bodies than we have human cells and they control far more than people realize. The food we eat determines, to a large extent, which microbe species we carry. A craving to eat a specific food, say ice cream, is microbial driven and has nothing to do with hunger.

The good news is by changing our diet we can tip the balance in the microbial population towards ones that are helpful and health destructive cravings eventually stop.

I don't cut out wheat per se, but I do try to limit the amount of bread I eat. Plus carbs, again not exclusively, but I try to eat more veg and protein these days.

I also take CBD oil in a tincture 2 times daily. Aches and pains seem to go.

As for anxiety, i prefer to make it up as I go along rather than make a movie in my head about how the day will go. I much prefer to rock up and then have to think on my feet. This can't always be the case unfortunately, such as the jobs that require road closures, or heavy machinery.

Sylvia and I have not eaten bread, wheat or any refined foods in years. What we eat has a profound effect on all aspects of health both physical and mental. We have more microbes in our bodies than we have human cells and they control far more than people realize. The food we eat determines, to a large extent, which microbe species we carry. A craving to eat a specific food, say ice cream, is microbial driven and has nothing to do with hunger.

Interesting post, Dave.

I would have thought that a craving is the bodies way of saying it needs that food. Like presumably people crave fat cuz our ancestors tried to get all the fat they could because fat helped keep them alive. Or like when dogs eat grass presumably to aid their digestion- they are driven to eat by some instinct or inner cue. Just curious how these notions jive with microbe driven ice cream cravings.

Some real good posts here. A lot of our human cravings are completely unnatural and not good for our bodies. Lots of the crap food we are fed is like drugs. Your brain wants it but it's not really what your body needs.

My mini-loader and wraptor have made for less injuries, and an easier time making money when having injuries, for sure.

Just as what I tried to show on not using drying and frying agents in healing...
It once was that rural folk were healthier than overcrowded cities, later rural folk suffered more ills, do to sanitation in cities etc. giving them advantage. Then pendulum swung the other way again and basic sanitation in rural areas and 'too much' in city made rural folk healthier.
It is all about a healthy fauna of bacteria, working for not against you,
also gradual exposure to various ills expands immune system, if within your power band to cope.
Nature has a 'messy order' not over done to anyone side, so more able to have a broad base to compensate and logarithmic expansion. Tree soil itself is a sea of life.
Life is fragile arraignment to stand inline against crushing forces of gravity, oxygenation, ultra violent radiation etc. Dis-ease is when out of balance, can't stand against constant raining down of onslaught of forces that churn\recycle back all.
On the big scale, this planet is only marginally able to support life enough not to be a barren waste land like any other we know.
OK, rant over!

thanks for the link, dave, i will check it out right away

In the Wheat Belly book the author (a doctor) talks about how we are addicted to carbohydrates, or that people can become addicted to them, the same drug that they give to people who have overdosed on heroin, can be used with the same effect on people who have constantly cravings for carb loaded food...when they are given that drug the cravings go away...
As I said the discussion of the science behind it was compelling, and I don't want to load my body with stuff that it can't process properly, stuff that it doesn't 'understand' ...you can't go far wrong with veggies and protien and a bit of non wheat starch and carbs.
But as I said where practical and possible, had a mates birthday party this evening, yes, I had some birthday cake!

Just a word of caution on those little splurges, Bermy. They will do more harm than you might think. A single bacterium can go from one to sixteen million in 24 hours. If you have determined that you have a problem that is manifesting in health issues, and you want to fix it, do so. A splurge day does not work for alcoholics, does it? Just one drink at a party?

If successful, you will be amazed at how easy it gets to stay away from foods that cause you harm.

Cravings are a sign of imbalance and controlled by our microbiome. Lots of science on this. This article is a bit simplistic but gives an idea of what is going on.

Dave, that article didn't mention anything about microbes or the micro biome, just about good vs bad carbs.

Back