Climber/ Treeworker Injuries and Treatments

As the new guy I will try not to dig up a bunch of old threads but this one isn't that old...

My experience comes from logging, not climbing, but I believe they are closely related in some ways when it comes to safety.

I will second the stretching suggestion. I was having knee trouble so I went to a physical therapist for help. She was really good looking so that eliminated any thought of knee pain while I was at her office. But once back on the hill her looks didn't help much. She gave me a handful of stretches to do, 11 minutes every night and I was miraculously cured. That also helped with back pain as well.

Benadryl is something I always packed in a pocket. You never knew when you would find yourself standing in a bees nest.

A blood stopper bandage is something else I always tried to pack with me. Only had to use it once...

I made up my own first aid kit. The major items in it were- blood stopper bandages, celox (quick clot) and a cat tourniquet. Emergency help is not always a few minutes away.

Probably the most important thing is following the safety rules. Wear your ppe even if it's not the most comfortable stuff to work in.

I have known 3 people that were seriously injured at work. One lost his left eye, the other is now in a wheelchair and the other was buried in 2013.

Somatics, a method of reminding your mind to release the muscles. Muscles aren't "tight" or "hard" on there own. If they feel this way it is because they are engaged. One thing engages muscles, an electrical signal sent from the brain. Remind the mind how to turn off the signal and the muscle goes to its relaxed state. (Hint, cats and dogs do what it takes to remind their mind of this about every time they get up and start to move.)

GREAT THREAD Sean!

Just ordered that Somatics book two days ago, after your 200th mention, Merle.

The Theracane is a great tool, gets my shoulder back to working order when it tightens up. It lets you absolutely rail on trigger points, just keep pressure on the muscle knot until it spasms!

Let us know how you like the book.

Btw, speaking of theracanes and such, have you tried foam rolling? It is serious tool for spinal issues.

Just ordered that Somatics book two days ago, after your 200th mention, Merle.

The Theracane is a great tool, gets my shoulder back to working order when it tightens up. It lets you absolutely rail on trigger points, just keep pressure on the muscle knot until it spasms!

If reading books about how to solve body issues isn't your favorite way to spend time in life start by reading just the first 43 pages. In those pages along with a few key principles there are five individuals stories of how their bodies responded to Somatics.

Once I see what someone else could do on a particular issue I find I can all of a sudden see the value in putting in more effort to accomplish the same result.

There have been two guys in our county that have fallen in the last couple of months, both survived. One was climbing with only a lanyard, cut it with his chainsaw and fell about forty feet. The other was a deer hunter, no harness, fell about the same distance. It's incredible that neither was killed or paralyzed but they both have a long painful road ahead. I have really been preaching to my hunting friends, it's absolutely amazing how many don't wear any fall protection.

Darwin...too bad they don't care enough for the people in their lives that care about them to take better precautions. Not using PPE is selfish and undisciplined.

Getting back to Sunscreen, anybody have one they recommend? Zinc Oxide might look cool if you are a lifeguard, but I would rather have something that I can rub in, and won't sweat off in the 30 minutes.

I was alway more into long sleeves and wide brim hats for sun protection. Lotion just seems so nyet! ;>)

I have a rather extensive first aid kit with just about everything you could imagine in it. Including small surgical kit with sutures of varying sizes.
One thing I keep in it is a small bottle of straight ammonia. It is chemically opposite of the venom in most insect bites especially those with stingers. Pour it straight on a sting and you'll feel the relief almost immediately. Negates the venom. Also keep ankle brace in case someone sprains an ankle.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sunscreen - Coppertone Sport 30 or 50spf...I use it in Bermuda summers, works well, not too thick and greasy either.
Cancer Council 30 -50 spf in Australia...ditto.

long sleeves and full brim microfiber sun hat when not using chainsaws.
I like shirts with collars, turn it up to keep sun off the back of my neck

Just another bump on Somatics. Thanks again Merle. Super simple stretches that have got me feeling like a thousand bucks again, nice to be able to move my shoulder without pain again.

Highly recommend the book as well

Another really common injury is tennis elbow (repetitive motion stress injury) from handsawing. The best remedy is a sharp handsaw blade.

Back