Pistol Grip Wrist Saving Arborist Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But it ain't been bonafied Brother Jerr!

Ain't yu seen oh brother where art thou yet!

It ain't nothin, common trailer trash, till it gets bonafied, certified and deserves a bride!

Don't yu see?

Jomo

No worries Jerr!

A new set of stainless steel dentures, a trip to the mig/tig welder so I can exnay those lillbilly hose clamps, a couple little fair lead eyelets, should be good to go.

This thing'll cut wire rope cable pretty soon!

Jumps like hell now when yu pull the trigger!

Jomo

Seems like partial depth lightening holes would be able to cut significant weight out of the main tube.

Seems like the exposed springs will collect material. Maybe no problem.

Mate.... Take some pictures without all that clutter in the background! Just holding that thing would wreck my wrist,never mind cut and hold.

What is the problem with a clamping mechanism, with cord? Is it the back-lash when unweighting?

Seems like if you could get it to load well, the vice-grip type locking clamp, with a small diameter cord, and overhand stopper knot to be grabbed by the clamp is way more simple. Would it work to have cord with single overhand knots every 3/4" or so for adjustability of grip, not just an end-knot.

If you posted a video, you would get a lot of better feedback, if you're looking for feedback and ideas.

I can see the potential, but it seems like its getting over-engineered. KISS.

Also, from my arm-chair, I'd still advocate for a wrist-neutral loading, rather than an offset load. Its supposed to be a wrist-saver, yet, it doesn't seem to follow this important aspect of a neutral wrist position.

Jomo, to avoid the armful backlash from the vice-grip, you get a giant backlash from your strong springs and heavy hammer head. The pet nails cutter pushes you in a way which doesn't seem right to me. The rope and many other things like a simple paper sheet or some meat are very hard to cut just by pushing a blade straight on them. The fibers fold on the cutting edge, making a cushion around it, stopping the blade's progression. The force to overcome that is enormous compared to the cutting force itself.
Put a sliding movement on the blade, and suddenly the cut becomes easy.
For example, you have obviously the rope and the handsaw, but too the trimmer in the printing industry. This one is a heavy duty press with a massive razor blade, but it could do almost nothing on a big pile of paper if it didn't manage a small lateral movement of the blade along its length. Look at your knife when you eat a steak (and I don't mean a Macdo's) ( but yes, even a Macdo's for that matter).

I know that the cutting thing is your baby, so I'd keep that as a given.

Something you could look at is the cutter blade for the carpet, it has a hook shape (centering the rope in the curved edge, so no reject of the rope nor the blade), the right size for a small rope or fishing line and easy (I think) to find. Give it a lengthwise movement with a slight angle through the rope. No need of a heavy mass to move, just ensure some travel, don't know how much, maybe 2". That shouldn't be bad.
It looks like that:
702.jpg

ken5370580k.jpg

Or something like a film cutter:
754.jpg

Otherwise, you have the guillotine style:
guil.jpg

but with a partially open area to slide in sideway the rope.

You get the idea...

Berm was right.

I've seen the light!

Thank you Fiona!

Will a little over a pound work for yu!

Just got a helluva lot cheaper too as well.

Jomo

It's a wonderful thing when a simple Spartan minimum moving parts design pops into your head, and you make it work, dependably n consistently, in one friggin day!

This is heavy steel, used only because it was handy, and once replaced with aluminum, it's going to barely weigh a pound!

I could take this one up a tree n rock it tonight.

Couldn't of snapped outta my trance till the Bermster said, what! over four fuggin pounds!

This has been one of my top design favorites project in a while.

Should be able to buy one round a hundred bucks, dirt cheap n rugged too.

Gonna call this one the ARP7. About right countin the grip pliers etc protos.

Jerr'll be stoked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 29
You cain't put no English on that!

How yu gonna get a strike in the DZ!

Nope!

The ARP 7's sleek n pretty, not too heavy, attractive, like a girl.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 24
Come on Murph!

You fly a bucket!

Quit bendin over fur that stuff!

Straighten your spine, be a man!

You know you want one!

Attachments

• image.jpg