Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Pistol Grip Wrist Saving Arborist Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
    Put up a static shot of it ACTUALLY attached to a branch...
    ... Hehehe , won't happen. Let's all drink to continued confusion. Nothing against the inventor but I don't know what the thing does ... Or how. Seems funny

Quote Originally Posted by pete mctree View Post
    If your trying to improve grip, would a D shaped handle not be the first port of call. Straight wrist with no forward pressure
    Yeah Pete, a D shaped handle has advantages and will be integrated into prototype two or three, depending on how well this one functions aloft.

Ideally I'd like to be able to attach and tighten the cord to the branch with just my left hand in just a few seconds, without any electronics whatsoever. Quite doable of course, but right now just attaching to the branch with my left hand alone'll have to suffice.

There's a lot of merit in keeping it simple, durable and relatively inexpensive, as in under 500 bucks a pop.

There are cordless 1/4 inch drive ratchets with enough power to tighten up on the branch at the touch of a button, but that'll have to wait for prototype #4.

Jomo

Now this pic's just for the Bermster!

The rest of yuz don't look!

Jomo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

I still think you can do away with cutting the line and having to retie the ring at every branch.
    I would use a steel cable with a cam type tensioner (havens?Chicago grip scaled down) and a nubbin on the other end with a bow and arrow type quick release. F
    Flip it around, lock release, snug up, cut, and pull trigger.

Actually I'm going to make a custom ring with a graduated funnel n slot so a single knot'll slide right into it Flush.

My very first grip pliers prototype used a steel cable, and the backlash from it after releasing a heavy load was very painful.

Synthetic cord's much more user friendly IME.

Jomo

It's important to bear in mind that this tool's not meant to be used on every branch you intend to cut n chuck, just the awkward heavy hard to hold branches that take alotta gripping strength.

Jomo

Right on well keep us posted. Pics, video perhaps?

TreeHouser

My very first grip pliers prototype used a steel cable, and the backlash from it after releasing a heavy load was very painful
    The steel cable doesn't help, but the main actor of the backlash is the grip plier itself. You get the same when you clamp seriously some steel stock for welding or folding. With a rotating cam (for example), that shouldn't be a concern.

Just an idea, make a conical end or a nosecone at the limb's contact. That will reduce the lever arm on the device and facilitate the limb's movements with less parasite force on the handle.