Pistol Grip Wrist Saving Arborist Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomo

TreeHouser
Wrist power's crucial to climbing arborists n bucketboys alike, and decades spent going at it full bore commercially can take it's toll IME.

It was only after three decades that I began using a speedline strap n biner on awkward wrist twisting branches I intended to cut n chuck, letting the nylon take the beating, not the tendons n cartilages in my wrist.

Which led to the idea of pistol grip device, with a ratcheting spool of nylon cord rated at 200 lb test, with a bladed trigger assembly that cuts only the knotted end of the cord off, releasing the load over the DZ, once the trigger's cocked n pulled.

Actually dual triggers'd be better for situations where taking a wrap or two's necessary, and cutting both ends of the cord in unison's a must for a clean release.

Does that make any sense to any of you old foggy climbers?

Yet another 07 project to tinker with...

Jomo

Wrist-saving gear and methods would be gold.

Sounds like cutting and chucking is the real problem. If I am reading you correctly you are making a micro rigging system so why not just rig it out big the normal way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, cut n chuck's an evil thing, blah blah blah, but so's arthritis.

I slapped a homemade wrist saver together a few years ago, that worked well, but only in my righthand. Thumb activated release.

image.jpg

Looks like one side of the rope is fixed/ terminated, with a positioner (vice grip) like Ddrt. The vice-grip clamp is a quick release, active by thumb.

Interesting!

Just for you Mick ole pal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 227
That might do it for Mick, but it sure didn't make me understand it any better????????

What are we looking at and how is it supposed to function?

Looks like it could stand to have a breakaway lanyard for hanging on your saddle for using in hand,

and a strong connection point to hang from the tree, or hitch to a stationary rope (allowing it to be able to slide up to adjust, sorta the way a footlocking prussic slide up). super light duty rated.

Come on Stigster!

You've never had to be real judicious about how you grip a 2-3 inch branch you're about to cut n chuck on to the DZ?

Grip it like an overhead stabbing knife, or longitudinally like a golf club?

One works well in certain overhead scenarios, the other if you're bent over reaching down.

This device'll take the beating and orient itself vertically regardless.

Let's say there's only one 3 inch branch on a fair sized removal/trim that has to be caught and thrown into the DZ?

I take a speedline loop and cinch it to that branch, grip it lefthanded then cut it with my handsaw righthanded, the loop takes all the twisting and turning forces of the branch swinging n orienting itself vertically. Then I just let go of the whole mess as I swing it over the DZ, and collect the loop later, or have a groundie tie it to the tail of my climbline.

Simple stuff Stig, and I know you know what I'm talkin bout.

Jomo

Ok, I think I got it now.
Wouldn't exactly call it simple, though.

Another advantage of using a ARP is that it moves the catch hand bouta foot away from the cutting action, be it handsaw or trimsaw.

Jomo

Orrrr.....two loop runners, one girthed to the piece, the other behind the cut, and hooked together. Make the cut, the runners absorb ALL the load, put saw away, unhook, and chunk (or zip) the piece and let the groundie deal with the runner attached to it.

Nah!

I wanna be able to shoot 50 branches in a row before reloading!

Do you Clantons unnerstand....

Jomo

Nah!

I wanna be able to shoot 50 branches in a row before reloading!

Do you Clantons unnerstand....

Jomo

No I don't, not yet. Not being deliberately obtuse, just feel you should give us a clearer idea of the purpose and workings.

I know you're an innovator Jomo so treat me as a slightly dim investor (the slightly dim part is not much of a stretch acting wise I know!)

Ever seen the fancy retractable dog leashes Mick?

Think of those, with a trigger that cuts the cord, once cocked n pulled.

Jomo

Jomo, the part you are not getting is that Mick and I still don't understand what the device is for.
What is it's purpose?
Show a video of how you use it and we'll understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back