Pistol Grip Wrist Saving Arborist Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
We Euros are slow compared to Americans.
Probably because we don't burn enough fosssil fuels, I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A friggin cord swivels a helluva lot better than your wrist?

Jomo

What's the typical branch weight you feel comfortable catching in one hand guys?

I max out at about 50 lbs when grip strength alone's used.

More if I use a speedline loop.

Jomo

Wow, no wonder at all you are having wrist problems.

Then what weights are you comfortable cuttin n chuckin Cory?

Or do you tie in twice n holler for a lowerin line?

Jomo

I never thought about it but I'd guess 25lbs. I generally cut a few small limbs as needed and get a high pulley installed with a 1/2" line, asap.

I suspect that outside of crane removals, I've pieced down twice as many trees than I've roped down.

Just one branch over a patio doesn't warrant a lowering line.

It takes a fair degree of targets and complexity before I break out the fancy stuff. I call those black bag removals.

I'm very fond of building landing mattresses out of brush, then throwing the wood onto the mattress.

Somehow I get the feeling I'm not the only climber that's partial to cut n chuck pieced out removals.

Jomo

I usually will tie off a limb, cut it, let it hang down then piece it off and chuck it. But I'm no production climber.

Yeah, but I'll bet MistehBen is, the tight quarters NYC rigging guy, the ailanthus tree removal wizard.

Last I heard Ben quit the subbing gig, and now does street tree contracts full time for a single outfit. Nothing but street trees, nothin but cut n chuck over cars that ignore your no parking signs n flashin lights!

Yup, I'll bet ole Ben's wrists are gettin a helluva workout! I expect he's running a bucket now to up production.

Jomo

I never thought about it but I'd guess 25lbs. I generally cut a few small limbs as needed and get a high pulley installed with a 1/2" line, asap.

Throw line technique/ gear makes hanging a floating pulley fast and easy. I should do this more often.

I wouldn't be so harsh on him guys. I ruined my hands with saw, treework and probably cutting/chucking to much to heavy just as described. I know myself espescially when bucket babying it would regularly push the limits of my grip. 50lbs? No problem. I've felt the strains and twists just as Jomo described. If it came to market and wasn't a pita to use I might of tried it.

A handsaw handle, grip-pliers, zip-ties and a length of 1/4 inch cable's all it takes to slap one together and give it a whirl.

I recommend wearing gloves and long sleeves, because when released under load, that cable slaps back.

But you shouldn't try it if yu ain't a climber.....

Jomo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back