Tech Toys: Android TV + Amazon Prime + now the Amazonian ms.Alexa

theTreeSpyder

TreeHouser
Well used thing i got this year was $100 Amazon Prime 1yr.;
2 day shipping, gave it to her for her birthday, under her name , so all purchases start there (hint, hint).
Amazon TV/Movie library on this toy:s905 Android TV box (many out there)
(note: very stable, especially if has own powered usb bus on device, i always throw away remote and get cheap wireless mouse)
>>Also has Ethernet port so now hard wired speed!
>>been very happy with that + NetFlix, she uses 2 day shipping a lot..
Got a Dot when on Black Friday, Amazon famous for not giving breaks $180 Echo broke this ground with, now rest trying to catch up.
And now just got 2nd $40 Amazon Dot (backordered online but was at local BestBuy) cuz cheap part of Dot is speaker.
>>+$27 highly rated Oontz Wedge bluetooth speaker
rocks pretty strong, and i can see future of voice command 1on1 individualized Math class, fail point tracking to correct pattern etc. from here!!
>>some music free w/Amazon Prime then can load 250 thru amazon of own.
i figure, it is Christmas and She's worth it!
>>actually alerted to other female command voice in house!(Alexa on Dot.)
Got some fair cheap Alexa control (Black Friday) bulbs for voice control back porch, but that is still a pretty expensive game!
>>Mounting Dot_2 on wall over door facing everyone(rather than ceiling), seems to hear much better
Just some real good toys, fairly cheap here and there, everyone here seems geeky enough to have computer and phone;
so can get for wife and help her!

We have had Amazon Prime for several years...well worth it. I"ll be using it tonight as I Christmas shop.

We use it here. I put it under the business name and get the free shipping on a lot of stuff I order for it and home. Streaming movies and video gets used a lot. Since we home school, a lot of book orders come through it. I just consider it prepaid shipping. And I get to write it off. I know.. grey area :/:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nuttin'grey about that to me, go fer it!
Looking to put controllable light bulbs around, color on porch
>>waiting for it to get cheaper, will not get bluetooth control, but rather android/wifi when read device can hit with Alexa control(more and more /most)
>>Bluetooth for speakers, Bluetooth mesh or master/slave for more than 1 speaker(Bluetooth originally made to be paired 1 to 1 , not 2 speakers)
Had to replace bad outlet, moved kitchen outlet to that hole and got usb built into outlet in new kitchen outlet
>>only get where each usb port is 2.1+amps not 2 w/2amps total or 4amps to 4 usb
>>1 amp usb charger is weak, old school, and doesn't power everything
All our new power strip or multiple outlet overlay WILL have usb ports like this; will just come in handy!

Just playing into future $30 here and there where it can count.
Have always kidded my old man about refusing to learn computer anything, quit job 1 time over it.
Tell him i feel like i'm trying to show him this new fangled wheel invention and he'd rather drag stuff uphill cuz works so well!
Alexa is conversive, accurate, responsive and soft enough i can see a class of 30 kids w/headphones getting pretty much individual attention teaching simple math at first. Alexa asking questions, rating answers, finding weakness patterns individually and sight out bottom 15% and top 3% for proper extra attentions.
Amazon has $100 mill set aside for donations to development in voice technology, Google, MS etc. are trying to catch up to what was an odd experiment w/Echo that boiled over to raging success. i think all this is going to saturate thru everything; like the rest of the 60's Star Trek cd's, flat screens, big flat screen tv, communicators, badges, tablet pc, palm scan, retinal eye scan, talking ship etc.!
God only knows where the gov. is with technology.
They keep us so in the dark they say when JFK was in office(before black and white Star Trek);
>>they could read the name off the golf ball JFK was going to hit while watching him from above the clouds!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i usually recommend just small $10 wireless mouse/throw away android remote,
>>have helped several buddies with this and some of us also like having a keyboard.
Usually keyboard/mouse separate USB ports needed for wireless, 2 in 1 preferred.
$15 is the best running deal for wireless mse/kbd could find(link), usually use onscreen keyboard but for lots of typing, setting up Kodi/xBMC pull out keyboard, my buddy uses it for facebook on his TV from easy chair.

Found color, dimmable, wifi lights cheap $10.(link) NO SEPARATE ROUTER
>>usually at least $30 color light, $35 router....
>>these also react to Alexa at same time w/o delay,
>>notably market leaders Sylvania Lightify and Phillips Hue : delay Alexa turn off, turns off 1 light at a time/delays between
>>and would co$t about $100 for the 2 dimmable, color wifi(not bluetooth) lights(easily hit $50 for 2 dimmable white w/router)
>>wifi lights usually schedule-able also, so don't need timers, can even specify days/times thru week
This stuff rocks, and i like playing it cheap!
Kodi is freebie that guys put on $30 android/linux box for TV and charge $150-$350 at flea market for box that gets theater movies.....
Can also put on computer, depending on what you were pulling from where, this is something you'd consider a VPN/ip cloak for
Kodi Windows/Android/Linux/iPhone/Raspberry(link)

Back