tuning a stihl 461

MrMoon5shine

TreeHouser
hoping someone can break it down to simple steps for me, I have done searches but would like some clarification on a couple things

one being that i understand the three adjustments screws are High, Low and idle. so LA i adjusted warmed up but no throttle, until the chain starts moving then dial it back until it stops, High I adjusted at full throttle moving it around until it sounded the best, moving it one way then backing it off, but how and when do i move the L- screw?

the reason for this retune is the weather has dropped 10 c in the last month and I just don't feel like its putting out the same power as it did, bought the saw in the spring and probably has around 300 to 400 hrs... is there any mile stone maintenance or replacements I should be doing? ie air filters...

thanks in advance for any advice for this "new" saw owner (as in first time with new saws and owning them myself )

Meh, don't mess with it. It will only get wrecked. Best bet pack it up and ship it to me, I'll be glad to take that mess off your hands. ;) (Don't think it worked)

I can't give you a good answer, you'll get one from someone else shortly.

Short answer check out youtube. Lots of good tuning videos.
Ideally you should be tuning with a good log to listen to how the saw runs in the cut. When you lift the saw out of the wood you want to hear it four stroke. I imagine a 461 has a limited coil so learn what four stroking sounds like vs the rev limiter. The L screw adjustment mostly control how the saw accelerates and somewhat how it holds rpm in the cut.
All that being said, there's a reason I run autotune saws...

Back