Tire studs

Flushcut,

Here in North Dakota the guys have two sets of tires for their vehicles....one set with studs. Our laws require that all studs and chains be removed by April 1st. When the pavement and asphalt begins to warm up, the studs will rip it up.

Most guys around here don't have tracks....they use grousers. The regular skidsteer tires can be fitted with tracks.......like these

Bobcat grousers.JPG

Hope this helps.

Joel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been doing some digging and found that there are manufacturers that make studs for tracks and all the way up to 180ton gravel trucks. I think I am gonna order some Kold Kutter screw type and give them a shot this winter. I'll keep you guys posted.
Steel tracks would be bad ass but I don't think they exist for an s800tx.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The machine handles snow very well it's the ice under that snow that causes problems. And hills are iffy. I went sledding with the mini last year sideways, I don't recommend it.

Dozers and tanks don't like ice either. In fact, I've seen bulldozers slide right off the side of the trailer. For this reason, many operators haul their dozers on trailers decked with cottonwood.

The cottonwood doesn't last long, but it's soft enough to allow the dozer tracks to sink into, providing loads of traction.

I have heavy duty V-bar chains on my tractor and truck. Nothing better......but the chains limit my travel speeds to a max of 30 mph. Studs are far better for highway travel.

I think the studs on your tracks will prove to be very good on ice. Hopefully you can remove them for summer use.

Joel

We welded tabs on our grousers on big tracked equipment in the ice, I imagine studs will work well

Back