a cheap mistake.

MrMoon5shine

TreeHouser
so I cut myself with my 201 today, will show you the picture first as it was very minor.

20161206_120535.jpg

I was cleaning up two maples that had come down in the wind, finished number one in a hour or so and was feeling good, forgot my water at home but that's ok... i would be done in another hour or so. moved on to the second one, took longer then i thought.

so now we are looking at 12:30pm with nothing but two cups of coffee in me, and that little voice said "stop grab some water" did not listen, i was almost done right?, and hopped up on the downed log to cut some cedar branches that were pinned under the trunk, on the third or fourth cut i slipped, stumbled, shifted, and spun my right hand to regain balance and just like that felt my finger hit my chain, got lucky and was just finishing a cut so no full throttle.

i write this just to get it off my chest ( it's not a bad injury but still... I hit myself with my saw... ) and to maybe remind everyone to listen to that little voice, he's right you know?

ps now that my saw has tasted blood, do i sell it or have it put down humanely?

Last edited:
now that my saw has tasted blood, do i sell it or have it put down humanely?

I actually run a rehab for saws with this disorder. You can ship it to me, where I will do my best to rehabilitate the miscreant. If I am unable to improve its behavior, I will euthanize it humanely...

Maybe a severe scolding would work, but it really comes down to the saw owner they're the ones to blame in most saw attacks. That "little voice" has saved many lives so listen to it next time.

Ha! Tasted blood. . .

You're defying convention with a right hand injury! Based on the graphics we were all just exposed to, that almost never happens ;)

Don't sweat it man, I'm sure your saw feels bad about the whole thing.

Took one of my guys in for a wound slightly worse than that. After the doctor explained how many chainsaw injuries he'd seen in the Midwest he told us he was qualified to describe this injury as a chainsaw booboo!

Booboo..:lol:

Close call for sure...glad you got a simple wake up call. Thanks for sharing...helps keep the rest of us in the real world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha! Tasted blood. . .

You're defying convention with a right hand injury! Based on the graphics we were all just exposed to, that almost never happens ;)

Don't sweat it man, I'm sure your saw feels bad about the whole thing.

I'm a lefty so most injuries happen on my right

I'm a lefty so most injuries happen on my right

I am too, but I Strongly Encourage you to use a right handed saw, Right Handed.

Seeing some the carnage from folks doing just what you described was incentive enough for me to get into the habit of using saws the way they were intended.

I do not mean to preach, but it's your health, & sometimes you only get 1 shot.

Kudos to you for sharing this Booboo: may there not ever be any that are more serious.

I am too, but I Strongly Encourage you to use a right handed saw, Right Handed.

Seeing some the carnage from folks doing just what you described was incentive enough for me to get into the habit of using saws the way they were intended.

I do not mean to preach, but it's your health, & sometimes you only get 1 shot.

Kudos to you for sharing this Booboo: may there not ever be any that are more serious.

wise words for sure, ya i am trying to get used to running my saws in my right hand, balance is a bit odd holding a saw left handed, but some times i need the confidence or precision of using my dominant hand.

Bobo in french !
Glad it was only that.
Even a cut while filling the chain could be much worse than that.

I don't see the link with the lack of water though, except perhaps that your mind could not be really set on your work.

First thing, have always a proper stance, a steady position for cutting, even for a small bit. Never cut on the move, as you go, and never cut in a swing to attain an out of reach target.

Boo Boo :lol:
200_s.gif

Exactly. Who hasn't tickled himself with the top-handle. Nuthin a little electrician's tape won't fix. :drink:

Bobo in french !
Glad it was only that.
Even a cut while filling the chain could be much worse than that.

I don't see the link with the lack of water though, except perhaps that your mind could not be really set on your work.

First thing, have always a proper stance, a steady position for cutting, even for a small bit. Never cut on the move, as you go, and never cut in a swing to attain an out of reach target.

dehydration affects not only your muscles as in they don't react as fast or as precise but also your cognitive functions, basic problem solving skill and reaction time are all affected. it just reminded me of a trick i used in the past, when feeling tired, do a couple math problems in your head, if its hard to find the right answer... you're fatigued, take a break, eat, drink, grab some shade...

Took one of my guys in for a wound slightly worse than that. After the doctor explained how many chainsaw injuries he'd seen in the Midwest he told us he was qualified to describe this injury as a chainsaw booboo!

What are you tryin to say guys in the Midwest don't know how to run a saw? :?:)

Haha, no, he very clearly said it was generally home owners after an ice storm

dehydration affects not only your muscles as in they don't react as fast or as precise but also your cognitive functions, basic problem solving skill and reaction time are all affected. it just reminded me of a trick i used in the past, when feeling tired, do a couple math problems in your head, if its hard to find the right answer... you're fatigued, take a break, eat, drink, grab some shade...

... Once had Ground help ask me if wanted water when managing a boxed in top ... Told her the only water I wanted was in the bottom of my Bong when the Tree was down.

I did a job for a guy in Illinois, after a tornado. He had on his hard hat, watching us, with his hospital bracelet and stitched up knee.

Back