Chainsaw Hell

gf beranek

Old Schooler
The parts where he cuts the roots. Oh, my God!

Then he says, "I'm going to make video about sharpening chain." Skip through it. It's funny and frightening.

He was using chain though to pull the stump.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2_-0g5rsjdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. All that work. 2 minutes with a stump grinder would have taken care of it. Must have had plenty of time and energy. Usually a video of someone pulling a stump with a chain doesn't end well.

What did that poor Home Depot saw do to deserve that? Yeah, it was painful watching him ream through roots that a well-sharpened beater axe could have severed in two swipes. Funny though... I gotta say that that saw actually SOUNDED pretty good.

Okay a rook for sure , Saw and Chain are eventual throwaways ... My two is w those soil conditions plus a frickin tractor I would have just kept digging. Then the axe. Where I live digging is squeak more difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When clearing right-of-way we hand chopped stumps quite a bit. Not that big, though. Up to 3 - 4 inches. Only species that re-sprout. Which is most around here. After 6 years of swinging a blade we got damn good at it. The method solved the problems of the stumps suckering back, and then having to deal with them again years later.

I chop out a few every now and again instead of coming back with the stumper but still bill it as a stump removal at grinder prices. ;)

more money than brains i would say, we got one of these guys were i live. lots of money can afford to hire and does at times, but he has that need to flex his "man" muscle, well last month he dropped a small alder on himself breaking 3 ribs.

When clearing right-of-way we hand chopped stumps quite a bit. Not that big, though. Up to 3 - 4 inches. Only species that re-sprout. Which is most around here. After 6 years of swinging a blade we got damn good at it. The method solved the problems of the stumps suckering back, and then having to deal with them again years later.

I remember years ago reading about that from you Jer and it made great sense. I've been doing it that way ever since when not grinding...though not on every tree :) That must have been a ton of work for you guys to do year in and year out throughout the right-of-ways.

No way around it, Chris, clearing right-of-way is just plain grunt work, but we paced ourselves and had a lot of fun. Friendly competitions: speed climbs, obstacle events, handsaw and chainsaw speed races. We burned during the winters and had hot lunches everyday!

The axe, of course. Chopped the roots and tossed the stumps off the ROW. They were small stumps. Most not more than a few inches. Once you know the rooting habit of the species you could get a 3 inch stump out of the ground in about 10 wacks. The tap roots were the hardest to get.

Now an axe would last about a year before it was just a club. The newer ones we kept sharp for slicing roots. The older worn out axes were used for chopping dirt and rocks out so we could get to the roots and use the good sharp axe.

We had contests on how many wacks it took to get a stump out. You'd be surprised just how efficient the method is.

Clever using two axes, I'll give it a go. I just so happen to have a nice sharp fiskars and a very abused dull one. I see that Deva digs out some big stumps.

I like using a cutter mattox it seems that the narrower axe part cuts deeper into the root and with the other side you can chop under the stump and pry up.

Back