Coffee Break

If custys are around I usually mention the older videos of guys spiking up enormous trees, no visible water bottles, and that I can't even go up 5ft without a drink of water.

Well .... Gonna go ahead and say it as it ties in with many opinions in the One Hand thread ... Climbers today get all balled up over SRT base anchor lowering systems. Hap's rig is safe and simple reliant on solid techniques for job done and safe trip down. Old School is Cool.

I agree Reg. The original video that Hap did is a short 25 min video made back in 1982 called "Spar Tree." In this video, when he is sitting at the top, he is not drinking coffee, but instead is just relaxing smoking a cigarette. Hap was well into his 60's when he made the film.

There is a good video that I own called "When Loggers Climbed Trees." Hap and many other climbers from the early high lead logging days are featured in it. If anyone is interested, I can dig it out and find out where you can get a copy.

Thts would be cool... You could upload it to Vimeo or something....

Absolute classic!
Aussies have a mid-morning break here called 'smoko' or 'morning tea' at 10am, it's a serious break for some serious food...
LOVED the cow milk jug.

The sign over here for when it's time for a break is raising your fingers to your lips like taking a drag on a cig. Works for everyone, even non smokers. Good way to let someone know who is working a distance away. They also do a thing for lunch time by raising some imaginary chopsticks to their lips. I usually bring a sandwich though.

2 thumbs up for break time/ quitting time. Hold over from working in the woods. A long and a short whistle if outta eyesight

In winter, we take breaks at fixed times, because the truck heater is preset, so we'll have a nice warm truck to sit in.
So no need for signals.
Summer is a bit more, eat when we are hungry or when it fits in, like.

When the men’s group from our church was cutting firewood for a youth camp this fall we were pleasantly surprised by having freshly baked sticky buns and coffee delivered to us on the back of the camp Kubota. SWEET! DSCF0642.jpg

Well the first year we helped out up there we had several close calls because of lack of training and lack of safety gear. So we decided that if we wanted to be able to continue with the project we needed to step up the safety - a lot!

We now have enough chaps and forestry type helmets for every guy who is using a saw. Plus those same guys have all had at least some safety training. Most of the safety gear was donated and is now property of the camp.

We usually have two groups of about 10 guys each with 3 or 4 in each group cutting and the rest hauling.

Back