Coffee Break

I felt lucky to get a ride on Ace's 40 meter lift, when I was in Cockatoo. Just like in the vid. Graeme was doing the cutting. Free falling some, and butt tying what he couldn't. Mark (Ace) was running the controls. It was awesome! Except we didn't have coffee. Ah, but we made up for that later.

131+ ft. thats one heck of a lift

Love the anemometer!

Perhaps when he retires, he'll post here once in a while.

He was made an Elder automatically, IIRC.

Some people bring a chunk of wood into their living room to use as a coffee table and some just use the top of a tree that they are wrecking. LOL awesome!

Cool as that was, for me the original with Hap Johnson is still the best tree vId out there. The guys fluency spurring that giant is just sublime. But, this was great to watch too. There's a feel-good about it.

Agreed, the original is brilliant, I don't think this was meant as anything but a homage.

Isn't this the Aussie who did the Euc dismantle in the clouds above the walkway?

Cool as that was, for me the original with Hap Johnson is still the best tree vId out there. The guys fluency spurring that giant is just sublime.

Totally agree. In addition to all of Hap's skill and experience, I think its safe to say he was a physical freak of nature.

Agreed, the original is brilliant, I don't think this was meant as anything but a homage.

:thumbup:

For those who have not seen the original;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jGYeEy99dbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool as that was, for me the original with Hap Johnson is still the best tree vId out there. The guys fluency spurring that giant is just sublime. But, this was great to watch too. There's a feel-good about it.

I agree Reg. The original video that Hap did is a short 25 min video made back in 1982 called "Spar Tree." In this video, when he is sitting at the top, he is not drinking coffee, but instead is just relaxing smoking a cigarette. Hap was well into his 60's when he made the film.

There is a good video that I own called "When Loggers Climbed Trees." Hap and many other climbers from the early high lead logging days are featured in it. If anyone is interested, I can dig it out and find out where you can get a copy.

Back