Caution! Treestuff Lag Bolt Breaks!

A lag bolt can generate tons of friction when being installed. I've seen large lag bolts broken off due to improper installation. The wood must be drilled out to about 3/4 of the diameter of the lag screw. Only the bolt's threads should make contact with the wood. Bolts should be lubricated with wax or soap prior to being installed. Lag bolts should be allowed to cool while installing them. Using a drill or an air gun will generate tremendous amounts of heat, causing the metal to weaken during installation.

All lag bolts will break if installed improperly.

Please refer to the following chart when installing lag bolts...and lubricate your lags.

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technical/lag-bolt-pilot-hole-diameters/

Joel

I agree with all of this.

Crazy world of Lags ... Makes me glad I just don't do cabling or bracing of any kind. Personally I hate drilling holes in Trees , even tapping Maples gets me.

Rigguys and wedge grips, hands down the best fasteners for steel cabling. Hubs are legit.

Preformed Line Products are first rate, no doubt.

But Rigguy's stuff?

You won't catch me usin is stuff, because it deforms the cable, ruining the galvanized coating, and radically alters the cable's natural lay.

Rigguy's never could produce a single cable manufacturer's endorsement for is stuff for a reason.

Whereas Preformed Line Products version of Rigguy's termination, is endorsed by mfrs because it doesn't ef with the cable's natural lay, configuration or galvanization coating.

Jomoco

I've often wondered why a version of automatic deadends or sleeves hasn't been developed for cabling trees. No twisting of anything, just slide on the wire and it grabs.

The PLP dead end's great, quick n easy, but too dang big!

It'd take quite a few years growth to envelope it entirely!

I'm stickin with old school throughbolts n PLP cable grip twists on EHS seven strand meself.

Jomoco

None I particularly wanna blab about just yet.

But fur sheites n grins, try googling the Ingersoll Rand Man Rider 150.

Dynamic SRT's gonna come alive in 2017.

Jomoco

Looks nice. Climber attached to winch is what you have in mind? Or are you still into the spider truck idea?

I want it all, air conditioning,heating, triple redundancy, the woiks!

All for another thread my friend.

This thread's about the importance of buying high quality drop forged good ole murican steel from ChiTown!

Jomoco

Back