one handed saw use

Agree. That was a very measured, reasonable response. It's a big positive, I think, that your exchange with Mark got a lot of people thinking about the issue, and possibly reevaluating their habits and practices. At least analyzing why they do things the way they do. . .

Well done Reg.

Cheers

That is always cool when people can act like adults.
Good outcome.

Me either Butch. It was taboo with the power company, conductivity and all that but for anyone that works for a living, it's just asking for trouble.

Damn it, I mist the video! please add in some extra long rants and more curse words for me in the next one, that would be great! As far as the one handed issue; I know people that scare the shit out of me with both hands on the saw.

Good post by the anti one hander.

Have never worn my ring.

for anyone that works for a living, it's just asking for trouble.

Same here. I wore mine for 3 days or so and it just felt like trouble.

That is a crazy story, August, hard to believe it worked out so well with your ring!

One more to add to the degloving derail (finger removal, with tendons remaining) - I almost lost my pinky, get this- getting out of the chip truck (danger is my middle name:\:!!). There's a grab handle on the outside of the cab right by the door, as is common on many trucks. I've gotten out of my truck safely many times before;). But on this 18,000th egress, as I was letting go of the handle and simultaneously stepping down off the cab step, all my fingers released just fine from the handle except for the pinky which got wedged folded up between the cab and the handle . So it was my full body weight with some momentum vs. my pinky. As with most accidents, they don't happen at the speed of light but they do happen faster than you can react. Well, when my feet touched the ground there was just enough reach to barely keep all my weight from being against the pinky. I flailed at the door frame to stop my momentum and then climbed back up on the step and freed my seriously wedged finger from the handle.

I was pretty damn happy I hadn't just ripped my finger off, and also wondered how stupid that must have looked to anyone watching:|: :lol:

:thumbup:

Now I know who Pat McManus is. I think I read one of his stories, he was camping, got up in the middle of the night to chop some wood for the fire, he was chopping away but making very little headway, was thinking 'damn this axe is incredibly dull, I better sharpen it in the morning', next day he finds the sheath was on the axe. ;)

Nonetheless it remains an issue that will never have resolve.

I couldn't agree more Jer, and its a guarantee that we will be rehashing all this one hand stuff somewhere down the road. At least our friend Reg's videos have opened a lot of closed eyes (I hope) that we are not a bunch of monkeys swinging around with saws one handed and not knowing what we are doing.

I for one will continue one handing my saw...when the situation dictates it. Just plain stupid not to utilize that safety feature which the saw WAS designed for.

Drop starting is yet another issue, and one often without warrant. As an example I heard a fellow once say, out-loud so everybody could hear, " If I ever see any employee drop-start a saw he's fired!" Oh, harsh words!

In this day and age, with a functioning chain-brake engaged, there should never be an issue with drop starting a saw. After all, it's the only way to start a saw up in the tree. So what's the big dif on the ground?

Narrow minds, that's what fuels a lot of these issues.

Back