one handed saw use

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Facebook has too much suggestion. I'm sure the lads who witnessed it are hardly going to post the details of their friends death on facebook, so only a very tactless person would start spreading rumours. Outside of that, its terrible news. I don't how you cut yourself in the neck. Poor guy/

One of our local guys just got it in the neck. He is alive with stitches. I will find out if he was one handing.
His real issue, as I understand it, was a chain type necklace that was hanging from his neck. Seems the saw grabbed it and followed it on up.
I'll know more this week.

Nasty!

I see guys with long hair or long beards, nah, too dangerous.

Damn, do you think a saw would run up your beard or hair? That sounds gruesome. A necklace too, not a good idea.

I one hand all the time but I do think I do it out of laziness and complacency. Its faster no doubt to use one hand here and there. Depending on how rushed I am the one handed use goes up and down. But I can't really ever justify it. I just end up doing it. Especially with the 150. it is just too easy. I think of it as a bad habit. I have bad habits all over the place, and I don't really do much about them.

Should we be teaching people how to use a chainsaw one handed? I think not, I would rather any employee that is working for me take the extra time and keep two hands on the chainsaw. If your working for yourself and your racing the clock... have at it. Reg C can cut however he feels like it because he has cut enough things to make his own decisions and isn't cutting huge checks to workman's comp. It just seems to me one of those easy things as an employer to just eliminate it from the culture and everyone is better off. Like wearing eye pro and hearing pro. Its Just good practice.

Marks article I believe, was prompted by Thomas Amorim's article over on the buzz which talks about actually teaching the one handed cut as if it were a legitimate technique. I would agree with Mark that it doesn't make sense to teach one handing as part of your training.

I personally really like Mark B's blog I find him to be a good writer, and I do think he has contributed a lot to our industry. Don't always agree with him but I get his perspective and I always enjoy reading it. You can't say the blog is bad when it prompts Reg to treat us to a 17 minute video.

That said, there was another of his recent blog posts I thought was a bit funny, he was lamenting being labeled Old School for not adopting SRT by some young climber at the TCIA. He goes on to say The trees in his area were unsuited for it... basically that SRT is just another tool in the toolbox it just doesn't happen to be in his toolbox. But he is not Old School, he's a Treemagineer!

I must admit, I did get a little kick out of that one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good honest post Kevin.

I got called out on a few specifics both privately and youtube. So, I made a part 2, if you can stomach it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2blUZo7PWHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm going to have to talk about one handing at some point here now too. I got a root canal today though which I find more enjoyable than hearing some of the Bridge type rhetoric I might incur by voicing my opinion.

One handing is like driving a race car.

Not everyone should be doing it.

But those that can,

Attachments

• elm tree 079.jpg
    elm tree 079.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 65
If the Dude who's now dead was one handing w his throat in the kick back zone .... Well Ger said it best , safest place to make any cut is from above and to the side of the work. My guess is work position was a little low for such behavior

Good vids Reg.. TBH I one hand all the damn time, because if I didnt I wouldnt be able to make me or the company money. Working over cars, roofs, fences, it has to be well controlled with zero error. The contract is only pruning, but working over the high value things I do its a given. Ive probably used a rigging rope 3 times in 8 weeks. Its all cut and chuck, life. Be safe!

Hi, first post here. I normally just sorta lurk around. Anyway, thanks for the vids Reg.A bit like Ben above, I do and have done a fair amount of street tree reductions and re-pollard's and have done a lot of cut and chuck. I think everyone who has done such work commercially will have. Not something to be done flippantly though, always with a solid stance and a focus on where the tip of the bar is and where the direction of travel of the saw will be. If I can't get a good position to do it then I'll use a handsaw. One handing is definitely faster and the money per tree on a lot of these contracts is often low, so there's always pressure to do a lot in a day. Perhaps without that pressure it could be avoided? I wouldn't want to see new climbers doing it though, I think it takes experience and good control of the saw.

Yeah Ben I am. Have to admit I've commented on the same thread there too. Got two unexpected days off and been bored.

Back