one handed saw use

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Dave. I'm just prepping to take off up island now, 3 days. I know we're into old growth, but Martin keeps hinting at something nasty. Hopefully he's teasing. So, I'll put one handling to the back of my mind for now.

Good luck, Reg. Gopro the heck out of it!

Yep Levi. I've had 2 hand Nazis come at me saying Z1 33 forbids my one handing. I have told them that it doesn't and they've told me I was full of shit.
… But I'm not. And it's also worthwhile to mention, that ansi are guidelines not laws.

If I were in Canada, I suppose I would have to "officially" forbid it to my crew. . . And then be sneaky to protect them from being harmed by the safety regulations in certain situations.

Reg,

I think that there are often lots of ways to reduce one-handing the saw while cutting, some of which I mentioned earlier in the thread. Those are good to actively teach to the employee, for whom you legally owe a 'safe' work environment. Getting them skilled and fast at those options is the best you can do while operating within legal parameters.

I think its do as I say, not as I do. That comes to all safety rules/ situations.

If that means a tree will take a lot longer to not one-hand it, I would do that one myself, or expect it to take the time it takes for the employee.

I never adhered to the popular belief, in the matters of safety, about one-handing a saw. I progressed through the years in this trade far much smarter than that.

Sticking to the rules, just because they are the rules, is ignorance and can injure and kill the same.

Yep Levi. I've had 2 hand Nazis come at me saying Z1 33 forbids my one handing. I have told them that it doesn't and they've told me I was full of shit.
… But I'm not. And it's also worthwhile to mention, that ansi are guidelines not laws.

True, ansi is just guidelines. OSHA is law? What do they say about one handing?

One handing? IM thinking of posting a pic of dropstarting in shorts and sandals.

Actually I know a guy who cut himself doing that while doing saw maintenance while we were on a hotel job. So I don't really recommend it.

I've cut plenty in shorts and bare feet, by the firewood pile. Just sayin. Not proud of it. Hope I don't do it again.

Reminds me of those pics one sees from time to time in National Geo Magazine, there will be some article on raping the rain forest, and they invariably show some guy cutting with a Stihl, wearing a muscle tee, bball shorts, and sandals or bare feet.

Yup, same here.

Now I feel a little less dumb about it ;)

Not sure if my brother would appreciate me sharing this but....

When we first started in tree work we were working the ground on a job near a farmers ditch. Some large limbs were stuck in the water. My brother stripped down to his scivies, waded in and cleared up the limbs with either a 200t or an 026, can't remember. Hilarious to see though.

I'm on a rant again.

Rants are cool.

54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

To be clear, I, myself, have not officially ranted on this subject due to Reg and my self-perceived Sensei, G.F. Beranek, providing me with time-saving, whole-hearted opportunities to simply say Amen.

It's like driving a car, two hands on the wheel are mandatory they said. How are we supposed to move the stick or use the parking brake lever for starting on a slope ?
And how can I eat my sausage as a breakfast when I'm in late :D
Well, actually, eating in the car is now forbidden in France ...
But I can't drive with an empty stomach, because it's forbidden too !
So what ? :banghead:

It's like driving a car, two hands on the wheel are mandatory they said. How are we supposed to move the stick or use the parking brake lever for starting on a slope ?
And how can I eat my sausage as a breakfast when I'm in late :D
Well, actually, eating in the car is now forbidden in France ...
But I can't drive with an empty stomach, because it's forbidden too !
So what ? :banghead:

Great examples!!

Pants and shoes don't do much against a chainsaw. Maybe can even in some places cause the accident, like loose pants or loose chaps.

In the event that they are 'used', like a seatbelt or airbag getting used, there is nothing like proper protection to LESSEN the likelihood and severity of injury.

I've run though chaps on a log, getting into the wood with an 044. Maybe two layers/ legs-worth. I was cutting mid-bar, so less likely to jam as fast as when people set the chain on their left leg, right by the powerhead. I was trying to go through, full throttle, training newbs.

Back