Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: one handed saw use

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Table saw use is one handed basically, sometimes a second hand to help support something or to pull the wood away after the cut. Using a second hand is often the cause of an injury, placed at the wrong spot. A T saw can have a form of kickback as well if the wood binds the blade. That may be human error or tension in what is being cut. Obviously a table saw has some different dynamics going on compared to a chainsaw, but both share the potential for very serious injury. Skilled table saw workers can get very fine with the tool and some advanced tasks can call for that way of working, fingers perhaps a half inch away from the whirling blade. Knowing the tool and knowing not what to do, encompassed by necessary concentration is the key to not hurting yourself. Is it risky yes, is what some people do decidedly disapproved of by the people writing the manuals, yes and it may even horrify them , but experience and self confidence is the key. I think both cutting tools share the same basic mental approach.

I've seen a number of results of injuries from table saw use, and the folks that have unfortunately suffered those, will tell you that their error in judgment and not paying proper attention are the reasons for the bad results. On my table saw switch I have a sticker that shows a hand spurting blood from missing fingers, just a reminder about playing it as safe as you can given what you want to do and the danger that awaits. I feel much on agreement with Reg and other folks here on how they justify one handed saw use, skill and avoidance of carelessness are not the traits of a dummy. Taking acceptable risks are a part of the job, it's just that with the experience element, what may be acceptable for one, may be different for another.

Teaching one handed saw use to a beginner may not be wise, but knowing the cautionaries, if someone gravitates to using that method themselves through experience, it seems like the proper order of things.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

Quote Originally Posted by RegC View Post
    I honestly avoid one handling, unless I think I'll gain an advantage. This might be to give me better control, enginomics or where I think it's safer to put the maximum amount of space between my self and the work. And in doing so I up my concentration and focus, because I know what's at stake. It's never out of laziness or habit, as was the damming judgement in those articles. There's lots of ways to get ones point of view across to influence people, but Marks all knowing delivery was not a good one from where I'm standing.
    Great statement, this is how I look at it as well.
    Scott

BOTS (black oak tree service)

+2
    -Rich

Table saws scare the hell out of me.

Yes , I hated ripping panels

Trust fund lobbyist. Sponsor High Scale's Avatar

Obviously there isn't any bad blood/history between Reg and his camp and Mark and his?��

Quote Originally Posted by RegC View Post
    Some thoughts on one handling
    As I already know your feelings on one handing (and you know mine), I read replies here first....Saw Mark being discussed--and dissed----was thinking Chisholm. Made no sense. Bridge? Yup, he I can .see--don't think much of his attitude.

This just came up on Facebook. Damn. RIP...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ut-throat.html
    "....oh and I fingered a couple of honeys once in the church graveyard."

Man, that is terribly sad. RIP

Sad to read. RIP
    -Rich