one handed saw use

Well update again. I talked to the climber today, he is healing up nicely.
He was cutting the top and pushing at the same time when the necklace got caught. So even though his boss told me, he was not one handing, he was. Cutting and pushing at the same time. We all do this from time to time to get the top to go against its wishes. I prefer to have a small wedge handy or a line in it. But there are times you just have to do what you have to do. I did today.. I used the wind to push the top 180 out. I was running low on fuel and the wind was right if I just added a little push. I did stop the saw in the curf while I did though.

:lol: Rich. The idea behind salty Tuesdays was that's the one day of the week that it's okay to bitch and moan, the rest of the week is all smiles and high fives!

Good question but I have no answer. Gruesome photos help I think. Some friends of mine had a photo of their co-workers de-gloved hand after he learned why you shouldn't wear cuffed gloves while chipping. The photo was right next to the door so you would see it every day when leaving for work. That probably looses it's affect after a while though.

Definitely, but I think that's the point. I'll never forget the photo of the burnt to a crisp line worker that I saw when doing ehap (electrical hazard awareness program) training.

I agree, photos help.

Levi, how did he get degloved while chipping?

By the way, great job on the new video, Reg. As I'm sure you know, you have a great impact on this industry. You are a great role model both as an arborist and human being, thanks. Cheers mate.

I agree, photos help.

Levi, how did he get degloved while chipping?

He was wearing gloves with a big cuff, I think they're called gauntlets, maybe. Chuck and duck chipper, a nub on a branch he was chipping caught the cuff and literally peeled his skin from his hand, entirely. The photo was a great reminder to work safe.

Geez, the whole hand, whoah. Fookin bad.

Yeah, real bad! It was literally like a skin glove had been removed.

Once again I'm staying out of it

Wish I could see the gauntlet gloved chipper thing. I think pics help beat shit into our thick heads a lot.

First line was toward Jed
Second was because I would like to scare the hell out of some guys I work with

:lol: Rich. The idea behind salty Tuesdays was that's the one day of the week that it's okay to bitch and moan, the rest of the week is all smiles and high fives!

We have a tradition here.
Apprentices get to be right on tuesdays.

But only once.

Rest of the week it is "shut up and listen to your betters":D

I have never done much bucket work, but the other day we had to rent a lift for a very dead elm. one handing is a whole nother beast in a bucket. i found it very diffcult to not cut and chuck. way fast. one handing the saw was much more natural then when Im climbing. And i must Admit that when i cut a peice bigger than my left arm could handle easily, and my right arm was handling a saw at full revs... I could have easily ended up with some scars...

Having used them in a bucket, I find those small tip bars are practically made for one handing, you can get very surgical with them in crotches and stuff. Ever see a surgeon use two hands on a scalpel?

One handing is safer for cutting in many different rigging scenarios IMO. Love getting my head and torso farther from the action as it's tripped. Always using two hands on the saw makes about as much sense to me as always using one hand on the saw.

It's literally an idiotic debate that shouldn't be. … Wrong phraseology, I guess I just mean that it's annoying that the debate exists.

I just finished a three day prefectural run course to get a chainsaw and tree cutting certificate, a requirement for work paid by taxes, and prompted by many people being injured over time. The manual stressed ultra safe procedures, but oddly, one handed use wasn't even mentioned. They weren't teaching cutting when up in a tree. There were things in there that were taught not to be done, like if you have a hung up tree what not to do to try and get it down. Some of the don'ts though potentially hazardous, are what professional people can do safely. At first I was a little frustrated that they would be teaching against things that if approached wisely, work, but then over the entirety of the course I came to a perspective that teaching ultra safe ways to people with limited experience was not a bad thing at all, especially when it came to observing how about half the guys in the course were pretty much totally unskilled in saw use and how to cut down a tree. How a person may diverge from the ultra safe with experience is something else, but I could better understand how safety was by far the priority over speed when getting people into tree work. If they had also taught against one handed saw use, I could have understood that within the context of the course. It doesn't seem extreme to tell beginners to avoid that. I'd forgotten how uncoordinated beginners are with a saw, and basically with very little sense about what is safe and what isn't.

One-Handing a saw is a bonafide technique in the Arborist Trade. Damn me for saying it. Like most techniques, when used, applied or executed without thorough understanding, can seriously injure or kill us.

Safety institutions should back off preaching the sins about one-handing a saw, and come to terms and recognize that it is a true technique that should be taught with the same emphasis on safety as all other issues in this trade.

Now, how about that 2 inch stump-shot rule? I can write pages about how much it is mis-understood... in the matters of safety! Safety institutions really should start listing to more experience people in this field. If they truly want to promote / enforce safety that is.

That's my 2 cents. Thanks for bringing it up, Reg. Now I feel better.

Back