one handed saw use

Nah, just momentary carelessness. Ditto for forearm.
MS 150 makes almost a surgical cut. Much nicer than the 200T

I'd be hard pressed to dismantle a conifer without one hand saw use... Great vid Reg, the straight forward no bs insight backed by impressive skill makes me wonder how someone could argue that.. Whatever, they can buy shiny things and be tree gods in their little world, while the rest with common sense are in the trenches getting shit done.

@ Jerry - no, a couple years apart.
Both a result of being in a hurry, "gotta git it done quick"

You're wiser now.

A good friend once told me, referring to our line of work, "Jer, what you see isn't what's going to kill ya. It's what you don't see that will."

That was Larry Gallianni. He was a conductor on the Skunk Train here for about 20 years. In the off season he fell timber. We shared wisdom's and idioms over many a brew. Fact, Larry is one of the character's featured in "High Climber and Timber Fallers." He's still working for the railroad.

One hand/ NEVER!

Someone photoshopped me to make it look like I was one handing.

I wish I knew who! I'd sock em one, I tellya wut!!!

Attachments

• elm tree 041 (Small).jpg
    elm tree 041 (Small).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 89
I remember many of times in the Army being told to get shit done.. oh, and don't get caught! :/: lol. I'm King Cut n Chuck on conifers takedowns. Do I try to use 2-hands when it is most applicable. Yes. however, other times it warrants a different approach. Pay attention to what your doing and don't day dream about Sussie Q while ole girl is all spooled up. Just my .02

Hey Butch, a pic of you made it into the chainsaw safety class at the expo. You were chunking down a trunk with what looked like a 460 or 660, and the safety issue was the cigarette.

One hander here! Two hands where possible but using your second hand to steady you on some of the prunes on leggy gums, is the the difference between a safe cut with one hand and an unsteady cut with two.

It's a progressive thing though and I'd encourage newbies to get the two handed positioning right before getting too complacent. A bit like keeping two hands on the wheel when you are learning to drive.

Great video Reg but 17 minutes??? Maybe next time give a London accent a go 8)

I have asimple rule for my apprentices.
One-hand all you want, but I want you to have a reason to do so.
Don't just do it out of laziness.

That means they will at all times have to be able to defend the use of a one handed cut to me, so they never get lax about it.

Have worked fine so far.

Perhaps Mark enjoys the safety of Plato's cave;
blinding light can hurt the eyes after so long!

I believe being dead means you can't be a member.
That is one reason I work hard at keeping alive right now.

Work positioning is everything IMO. Whether you use a saw with one, or two hands, a stable base to execute your cuts is, for me the primary concern. People need to look at how they use a saw one handed ;no crossing of arms, sensible sized pieces if cutting & holding etc etc. Would I like to watch a new climber cut & hold with a saw - no. Should they be taught how to, in time - of course, they are going to try at some point, so at least give them some pointers to help them learn.

People seem to be getting twisted about this one or two handed affair, without nailing down the basics that cause the accidents. Fatigue, rushing, inexperience &poor technique. These are to me the bigger concerns & the root cause of a massive proportion of accidents. So to single out the end result & not the cause is just dumb in my opinion.

As an additional point, I have seen some really nasty and on one occasion, a life changing injury cause by cutting & holding using silky saws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe this additional post on Marks blog was a direct response to Reg's video.

Don't know if it's fair to correlate left hand injuries with trim saws exclusively. . .

Link to updated blog post

Nothing been added there. Both articles were already in place before I made the video. Just looking through the youtube comments this morning also, the response is completely one sided thus far.

"Striking in both images is the high number of hand injuries, especially the U.S. Product Safety commission one, where the lion share of hand injuries occur… to the left hand. What is this down to? If I had to hazard a guess? One-handed use of chainsaws."

I've injured my left hand a couple of times while friggin' up a bucking procedure, resulting in my hand getting crushed by the log as it came free. Having your hand squished by the brake handle in that sort of situation is a common occurance, too.

The injuries shown in that chart link are likely all from the use of larger saws (too big to use one-handed) used in logging industry.

Pete, care to tell us about that bad hand saw accident, to raise our awareness? Thanks.

Pete, care to tell us about that bad hand saw accident, to raise our awareness? Thanks.

He dragged it across the top of his first two fingers with quite a bit of force. Lots of micro surgery to stitch things back together, but has ended up with very little feeling & retarded movement in them due to nerve damage & scar tissue. Proper mess & ended his tree career.

Damn thats a shame. Was he a skilled tree guy?

Back