Help w/ custom box build on F450 dually service body ideas.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
I'm looking to build an inexpensive box for my service body truck (former lift truck). The passenger side has a lifting tool box top. This means stepping the frame off of the passenger side toolbox wall by an inch, in order to accommodate the hinged top, or build over it. I'll want to be able to attach ladders to it and put the mini or chips into it.

It won't fit the mini and fit my garage no matter what. I'll probably want it to be 6' tall or more.
Loading height is 41", just a few inches less than my chip truck. 10' ramps can fit diagonally (end of ramp in front corner at floor, rear of ramp hanging toward rear, top corners of the box.

I'm thinking about a basic metal frame with thin sheet metal or plastic. I'm trying to figure out how thin I can go for economy and weight. It won't bear weight more than ladders. If I want to stand on top, using the truck as a scaffold of sorts, I can put a piece or two of plywood on top to spread the force on the frame.

I am thinking of locking dutch doors. Two hinges on each. Pin and lock on the other side. The doors wouldn't need to be very watertight. Nor would they take any significant load as a dump trailer doors often do.

Maybe a simple wooden box would be better, as I can't weld, but I can work with wood. My new hire can weld, but I don't own a welder. I have a good welder for hire.

I don't have to have a locking rear door. If it was a truck I figure to have a long time, I'd put more into it.

9' long. 42" between the wheel wells. Just over 4.5' wide between the service body boxes.

I'll probably unload chips with a Loadhandler I already own, or upgrade to the heavy duty one https://loadhandler.com/lh3000.php.

I don't know if losing the storage space would be worth the increased aerodynamics of a sloping box top. How ladders would fit on top would then be something to figure, so they don't hit the roof of the cab. Seems easier to fabricate a cube. My service area is small, so I don't drive much.

A 4.5' wide, 6' tall, 9' long box is 9 cubic yards. Chips are, as best I've heard, about 500 pounds a cubic yard. I would suspect most chips hear are lighter then the average, with so much softwood. Maxed out would be maybe 8 yards. I doubt if the truck is capable of 4000 pound payload down the road, but maybe onsite with cautious driving, as I rarely haul chips. Mini is about 3k. I"ll have to look into the dry weight, loaded with gear and people weight, and capacity.

IMG_20161114_155905402_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161126_103924135[1].jpg
    IMG_20161126_103924135[1].jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20161126_103802997[1].jpg
    IMG_20161126_103802997[1].jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20161126_104012232[1].jpg
    IMG_20161126_104012232[1].jpg
    348 KB · Views: 42
W built this box last spring, if you remember. It worked just fine as we needed, wood paneling. Not in the photo but we built a tailgate style door the same height as and in between the tool boxes.

20160329_170435.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you chipping into it, or stacking brush? What is good/ bad about that build? Anything you'd do differently?

We chipped into it for a couple of weeks and then cut it off:lol: By the way, we couldn't have done it if it weren't for the chip lasagna, thanks Sean!

Although they helped with rack strength, the sidewalls on the back were a bit of a pain. a bar across the top would've been better I think.

What are you using now? Why did you cut it off? I can imagine a removable cross member, like on some lumber racks.

We cut it off because we went back to using the trailer and no longer needed the box. Now we are using the new GMC that we bought, I think you saw that truck in a different thread.

I thought you had something different.

With this rig, I might just go with a simpler wooden box, chaining chainsaws to the to-be-welded-in loader/ grinder chain-down points. I have chain grab-hooks in my dump bed, probably do the same in the f450.

Nice, should be a great way to transport your mini and stumper. It's be cool if you could cut some holes in your bumper for slide out ramps!

Back