The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

I suppose my personal best was back when I was a kid.

It was 55 below with a 35 mph wind blowing.

All I was able to do was walk with my back to the east on my way to the barn to rescue some kittens.

Only one was still alive.

Frostbite is almost instantaneous in conditions like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im not a meteorologist but that sounds like mighty high humidity for that temp. How do you know what the humidity was?

Would you be mad if temps felt colder in CT than MT.

My chart didn't go up high enough but at 45 below that would be wind chill of minus 89.

What, was that surviving kitten from outer space?

The national weather service has RAWS stations out and about in the country.

Remote Area Weather Stations.

No, I would not be mad. Everyone thinks it's worse where they live!

But most people assume we don't have humidity up here, so the heat is not as hot and the cold is not as cold.

I only new something was up because our cat had shown up at the door with out her kittens I had been watching in the barn.

So I suited up and went out to try and save them. It was only fifty yards but dad waited at the house and shouted so I could find my way back.

I will tell you what, we don't get Ice Storms. Those look bloody terrible.

My father in law and I talk about things like this once in a while.

What always surprises me is how many more people die from exposure in New Zealand than in Montana.

When your in Montana you know it's bad, so you are always prepared. People get caught off guard when the weather is nicer.

When your in Montana you know it's bad, so you are always prepared. People get caught off guard when the weather is nicer.

Yup. I hear more people in Maine die of hypothermia in summer than winter.

I too didn't know you had high Humidity there, I kinda thought most of the West was fairly dry, east of the Rockies.

Its not all the time that we get high humidity. Our average would be lower. Sometimes its so dry in winter that you get nose bleeds and when the 3 feet of snow melts there is no water in it. It just sort of goes away. I guess they call it dry snow.

I have seen it as high as 95 percent in summer and as low as 3 percent.

Hottest I have seen was 106, lowest was 55 below.

Thats the thing about Montana, wild swings like that. Thats why no one lives out here in the north central and north east part.

Crazy snow fact.

Sublimation is going from Solid state to Gas state with no Liquid state.

Relative Humidity is what you're talking about. 85% of capacity to hold water at 0* is much less volume of water than 85% RH at 100*.

If you were any happier you'd burst at the seams.

Idk, I'd venture to say mid to late 40's

Good read. My son played with lots of Legos when young and has a very well developed sense of spatial relationships. He understands very quickly "how things work", whether building a pole barn or grading a lot....or helping me decide the best way to take a tree apart. My wife has the same type spatial skills, as did her father and grandfather, both highly skilled mechanics, wood workers and boat builders..I think it is genetic to a degree.

Good read. My son played with lots of Legos when young and has a very well developed sense of spatial relationships. He understands very quickly "how things work", whether building a pole barn or grading a lot....or helping me decide the best way to take a tree apart. My wife has the same type spatial skills, as did her father and grandfather, both highly skilled mechanics, wood workers and boat builders..I think it is genetic to a degree.

Interesting Gary. I was the same growing up. Lego master. From the youngest of ages I've been a 'fixer' and 'tinkerer' and everyone says I got these abilities from my grandfather. I take on most all mechanical challenges just by 'doing it' no internet in my shop.

Totally understand that. Alex is our "go to guy" for fixing stuff. He's always doing his brakes, whatever his equipment needs...just does it. He has a 1967 Bronco that he learned a lot with...broke axles, replaced them, rear ends, installed roll bars, back when he was a teenager. Here he is with his friend, Mark, at 16...learning what to do about a broken axle.

Attachments

• Alex and Bronco.JPG
    Alex and Bronco.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 16
  • axle replacement (0).JPG
    axle replacement (0).JPG
    403.2 KB · Views: 16
  • axle replacement (1).JPG
    axle replacement (1).JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 17
  • axle replacement (2).JPG
    axle replacement (2).JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 17
  • axle replacement (3).JPG
    axle replacement (3).JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 18
  • axle replacement (5).JPG
    axle replacement (5).JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 19
And a few more....all this 14 years ago.

Attachments

• axle replacement (6).JPG
    axle replacement (6).JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 17
  • axle replacement (8).JPG
    axle replacement (8).JPG
    397.9 KB · Views: 16
  • axle replacement (10).JPG
    axle replacement (10).JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 17
  • axle replacement (12).JPG
    axle replacement (12).JPG