The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

This is on the Indians of Colorado, how and when they got there,how they lived and survived, and why they left. And how a lot of Indian names were given to Colorado sites

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/romo/buchholtz/chap1.htm

Great article Cory! I often wonder what the land looked like before Europeans arrived. The part at the end made me laugh. I've said to myself many times, when getting above tree line "this is where the spirits live"

Some Cheyenne lore... An old friend of mine was Cheyenne/Arapaho blood. His mother was very involved with the Sundance in Wyoming with the northern and southern Cheyenne. About ten years ago, a few months before the sundance, my friend had a dream that he met a giant eagle who told him "ask me for one thing, anything, and I will give it to you" he asked for and was given a feather from the eagle. Apparently giant eagles were a part of the old lore, unbeknownst to my friend. At the Sundance that year, some old folks were meeting from the North and South, one member presented a very large Eagle feather and asked if the southern representation had theirs. They had all but forgotten the legend of a giant eagle giving a feather to each tribe saying that as long as they kept the feathers, there would be peace between the two tribes. Coincidentally, some young guys from the reservation wrecked the Sundance, setting things on fire and what not. Later, my friend told his mother the story of his dream and she was amazed, telling him the story from the Sundance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad y'all getting something out of dem reads.

That was good. Helps explain why when you are is stressed it wears you the f out, even though the physical exertion part is very small. The brain uses a lot of energy.

Good point, maybe that is partially what meditation is about. Putting the brain on a kind of autopilot.

Interesting.

Agreed, the clinical benefits of psychedelics have been overlooked for far too long. Leary and Manson ruined it.

Twice I was lucky enough to try pharmaceutical grade ketamine. Both times were incredible, the trip was awesome (obviously) but the truly amazing part was the way I felt the next day, like someone had hit the reset button in my brain. Old worries and concerns had vanished.

My experience was actually remembering things I had forgotten, repressed memories.

You're a fast reader.8)

Ok, gotcha.

One thing I found interesting was -" The bulk of us don't see environmental stress in the same light as we do, say, jogging.

But we should. Because stepping outside on a frigid day in only a T-shirt creates a cascade of physiological responses that deliver benefits similar to a workout."

Winter or all year bathing has got real big here lately.
Lots of places have a communal sauna on the harborfront where groups of people will meet in the morning, before heading off to work, sit in the sauna and warm up and then jump in the water.
I have a friend who does it and he says it is totally addictive.I live in the middle of the island, so no chance for me to get into it.
I just find the idea of these large groups of people of all ages, skinny dipping together in mid winter, so Scandinavian.

http://roskilde.lokalavisen.dk/kolde-afvaskninger-og-varme-venskaber-/20100129/artikler/701299877

Naked old people, that sure aint 'Merican!

I love things like that. Heat and cold. In my last house that I renoed extensively I had a steam unit in my shower that would literally have killed you if you blacked out with it on. It was meant for a whole room and I installed it in a two person shower. The sweat/steam sessions that you could have in there were incredibly rejuvenating. Mixing in cold showering at times to rinse and bring the temps down.

That steam shower was seriously lethal. I had it in on a timer and 15 minutes was the shortest time setting and there was no way anyone could last 15 minutes without turning it off early or opening the door. It would melt the skin right off of yah and had cooked yah to death if you ever passed out in it.

That's the one thing I miss about my old place. The Ultimate shower.

Sounds awesome. How often would you do it?

I don't think I've ever been out in lower than 15*F below zero. That was out west in Utah. The dry cold made it feel like 10* F above zero in the damp cold of CT.

Back