The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

I think we are agreeing completely Cory, but as a young guy seeing so many hamstrung by debt before they even have a job is depressing. I agree there is far more to life than just technical stuff, but these days kids are told repeatedly in school that they will starve to death without a college degree, but a college degree doesn't mean shit anymore. Mike Rowe has been going around saying the same thing as i am. My kids are only toddlers now, but i am completely terrified for what is in store for them based on the trends I've seen in my lifetime so far, and the political landscape is poised to make things dramatically worse. I feel certain trajectories of technology, social order, environment, and economics are converging to make the future worse than it's been in a very long time, and the methods and tools of the past to fight back are becoming be less and less effective. I'll stop there before i truly start sounding crazy, but I'm afraid if we don't collectively change paths soon, our kids will be doomed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree. Its complicated (understated)

People in general need to technology-proof their skill-set.

Drones with saws don't prune.

There are going to be way way way too many people for jobs available.

How many manual labor jobs have been replaced by chipper, dump truck, loader/ grapple, and stump grinder?

Fwiw, heard on the biz new this AM that unemployment rate for college grads is currently 2.1%

I do think its pretty exagerated that college degrees don't pay. They don't pay if you spend your time drinking, but even then, good connections through fraternities and social networks can pay off very well indeed. If you told me I could have a four year degree, or a spider lift, or another piece of high dollar iron (take your pick).. I personally would take the college education. for one, its something you can never lose or break. Even if you don't pay your loan they can't ever take it back.

Plus, in college, with the correct amount of booze, you can climb anywhere a lift can get you to. ;)

Isn't it what you know about who you know?

You can have friends and connections, skills and talents, and not be someone's bitch.

First off I don’t use the word “friend” very loosely. I’ve made the mistake of thinking someone was a friend only to have it bite me in the ass one too many times. Secondly the people I do work for might think they have a connection with me but I don’t see it like that, I’ve never had to look for work. I turn down as many projects as I take on.

Back