The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha yup, I usually get that same wonderment when I'm on the crane hook on way up

It's a strange feeling. I use a lot of self-rigging and usually, I cut a bunch of limbs, let them hanging here and piece them on the way down (after I climb back to the anchor points again blocking the remaining logs). All is well as long as I cut and drop the laterals on these limbs. Just after I cut the last limb's top, hanging in the air with a load of logs dangling over head, I feel suddenly that I'm not any more comfortable. Strange because it's the same environment during the first climb on a tall naked tree trunk and I'm not so bothered.

Rock climbing is definitely not for me.

This is a heckuva article imo. It is about the Future that is actually here now for some folks, as of 2013. And it is growing fast as Amazon grows. Interesting fast moving article about retirees who RV around the country to fill seasonal positions. These are retirees who worked hard to build a 'normal' retirement but the economy had other ideas.

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-ca... the Camperforce Amazons Nomadic Retiree Army

That was some of the most depressing stuff I've read in awhile, thanks Cory lol. If all of my plans go to hell in a hand basket like that, at that age, I would be seriously tempted to take up base jumping with a homemade tarp parachute. It's not just amazon, it's across the board in this country, but I'm gonna stop before I get political and angry lol. Good article tho man

Glad you liked it.

It was depressing to a degree but you gotta love that guy's hustle and positive attitude. One thing I found suspect was that he only had $250k in his retirement account after working so long, hard, and successfully for McDonalds.

Lol re the base jumping :lol:

Yeah that's not enough to retire on, and it's def not enough to put it all in one investment, but if he got divorced at the end of his career that could be all he had left. His optimism and hustle, although in my opinion completely misguided (McDonald's would probably hire him back for more than $15 an hour, hell you would do better mowing grass), his grit and determination is to be admired.

It caught my attention because I'm thinking of building a tiny house to use as an rv so I have cheaper and better living conditions when I'm working away from home (I'm in a hotel as I type this). As I started researching tiny houses and rvs, I found many articles highlighting the fact that a large population has given up on full size houses because they no longer could afford it after the recession. Quite the eye opener, and quite depressing if you think about it.

He didn't get divorced, his wife died, you'd think he'd have a couple bucks from the insurance, too

Ah that's right, reading comprehension is important sometimes lol. Still I question what happens when the rv breaks or he can't physically work anymore? What's his plan then?

Yup, I had the same question.

Also, 60 and 70 year olds walking 15 miles/day in the warehouse?? I call BS

Agreed, some rare folks here and there, but in general? Nah.

15 miles day in and day out I would think is well beyond the ability of most people, let alone seniors.

Having a tiny house to chase storms/whatnot would be awesome!

I'm considering a travel trailer for storm work. A place to get inside and dry, designed around being moved frequently (lightweight, all things considered). With equipment out on a jobsite, it would be great to be onsite as a night watchman.

Shingles look really nice on a tiny house, but aren't meant for sustained 60 mile per hour winds. Durability for regular travel is a design consideration. I think that largely, the finishing touches that make a tiny house more of a home can work against easy of regular mobilization.

A toy hauler could transport a stump grinder and maybe a mini.
Something sorta like this https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tro/d/2005-fleetwood-gearbox-toy/6310601886.html

https://goo.gl/images/dsf1Bo

Back