The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

Some of us still aren't plugged in.
I use my phone to make and take calls and messages, nothing else.

Yes, but I would imagine that you/me are a minority. Not sure how it is in Denmark but most in my area have the smart phone going frequently.

Stig, did you read the article that set of this discussion? Some disturbing information there...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if the trend/phenomenon will continue or will society get too sick and unplug?

I would guess it will become hip among some percentage to ditch the phone except for calls/texts.

I virtually never access the net via iPhone but obviously it is insanely useful for the phone, text, notes, camera/photos, calculator, contact list, voice memo for estimates etc, calendar, clock, date book.

Yep, hard to find a balance with the useful and the not, for me at least, so I'm back in the flip phone zone and loving it.

Here's an article about how FB and Google set up data centers in Prineville OR which helped save the town after timber and cattle went bust. Other rural areas have done the same thing re hosting internet facilities. A concrete sign of changing times.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2231051/living-cloud

Yes Butch, but a lot of people don't know the British only started dumping their unwanted here after the War of Independence. A lot of crims but mostly petty, and political from Ireland. Lots of Irish made it to the US, didn't get treated too well there either but seemed to manage to survive alright.

Ive no doubt you like it too. You always favor the best, most logical solution afaik.

I know, duh, who wouldn't favor that. But I think there are obviously industries and folks out there who resist such answers out of inertia, expediency, and inherent financial interests.

Whoah, this is a good article. Might seem far fetched on the face of it but it all adds up nicely: by computer analyzing all the tweets in usa, scientists accurately predict people's tendencies and happiness.

People leave so much of their id on the web,” Danforth marveled to me, “and they share it openly. That’s enabled a whole host of new instruments to try to understand what’s predictable about our behavior. And it turns out a lot is. As much as we think we’re really complex, people have very structured ways of behaving. The way we move around the earth is very predictable. The way we use language is very predictable.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2230891/inside-lab-thats-quantifying-happiness

"and could dangle more than 200 pounds from his testicles"

I'm impressed.

He's trying to solve a gear problem with more gear. Of course, actually not a gear problem, a people problem who have limited awareness. The 'net and social media can be highly interesting but there's no reason to let it take you over. Cmon people.

Back