The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

Alcohol absolutely hurts sleep. I'm told women especially tend to wake up or have a disturbance at 2-3am. Sounds familiar?

I don't recall the mechanism, alcohol stimulates the appetite, and also does something that specifically promotes fat storage. It's high calorie, too.

The only time I put on weight in my life was when I was drinking more, and not climbing, and eating like I was.

So far, it hasn't helped my sleeping much.

Perhaps that will kick in gear eventually.

I can't wait to stop sweating so much! IIRC, that takes a couple months.

So far I'm loving it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha this one is a doozy- The state report analyzing the escape of 2 felons from the upstate NY prison last year. Strong similarities to The Shawshank Redemption. One of the guys was extremely smart, resourceful and hardworking.

One thing I always wondered was how they cut their way thru 3/16" thick steel walls of their cells with a hacksaw blade. Sure, cutting steel starting on the edge of it is understandable, but how do you cut thru the face of the steel?? The simple answer on pages 39-41. Photos thru out the report. A few parts are skippable but a lot of it reads like a book.

https://ig.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/DOCCS Clinton Report FINAL_1.pdf

Imagine cutting thru all that steel with half a hack saw blade.

Afghan folks are hard as absolute F. :drink:

Here's a story about them and their national sport. You've probably heard about this crazy sport before but there's interesting detail here about the country, the people, and of course their savage sport. Don't miss the part where they give the author lessons on how to do it.

Kinda makes me want to visit the place, if I could get past all hope of self preservation.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2256191/its-nfl-horses-and-headless-calf

idk, didn't see it, but could be.

I remember the first usa special forces who were in afganistan early on played it and were impressed.

"He told me he came from a family in Khoja Doku, where horses are at the core of existence and communal identity. “If you have one day in your life, you must buy a horse,” he explained. “If you have two days, you must be armed. If you have three days, you get married."

Hey, they're afghans, I'm sure they use their horses hard but the horses are valuable to them so they must offer some decent care. A horse culture must know a thing or 2 about their use and care..

Wow, great article. I'm all about trying to relearn to squat just as a way to hang out instead of sitting and also for the exercise. I'm horrible at it. And to squat with feet flat is nearly impossible. And to kneel and sit on your heels is also almost impossible though I remember doing it commonly in my teens. So I have a lot of work to do, thanks for the insight.

The ninja at work, he's from the phillipiines, he squats all the time to hang out instead of sitting. And like if he's got to be under the truck to work on something (not under the engine, too low) he'll squat and work in complete comfort. I'd be kneeling on one knee or sitting on the ground or sitting on a milk crate. He's got real sturdy legs and can do single leg squats.

I don't squat to poop but as an aside- you know when sometimes you're pretty sure you have to poop but you could easily also wait till later but you know that later won't be a good time for it for whatever reason so you are trying to poop quickly now? But it just aint coming out anytime real soon? I press down on the seat with both arms between legs to take all my other weight off the seat and usually presto, pooping within a few seconds. I know, TMI, but could be a useful tip.:/:

The kneeling pose hurts my feet bad. Probably means I should do it more.

You mean sitting on your heels? If so, your ankles are probably tight, they'll loosen up with practice I'm sure.

Back