I bought another saw...or, MS362 questions.

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all. After my 048 started giving me fits I figured I'd look for a newer 20" saw with a chain brake and easier to get parts. I looked at the Stihl 311, 391, 362 and several Husqvarnas. I ended up up finding a deal on a year old MS362C-M. The guy bought it last year, and cut a couple truckloads of wood with it before injuring his back. When I went to look at it it wasn't oiling and the bar looked to be in moderately poor shape. It had the heat blueing along the entire length of the bar top and bottom along the chain groove and the chain wobbles side to side in the groove. The groove and oil holes were clogged up with pine sawdust and no oil was getting to the chain. I pulled the bar and chain and fired the saw up and it pumped oil just fine. I don't know if the bar or chain can be saved or not, but the powerhead looked almost new. I bought it with the like new case for $350. I figure if I have to put a new bar and chain on it I'd still be ahead from what I've seen them going for online used. I've got a couple questions about it. My 048 has a nice Tsumura 20" bar. I was wondering if there would be any issue with running it on the 362? Also, the 362 has an adjustable oiler. With bar and chain oil being relatively cheap I figured I'd run it pretty much wide open and reduce the risk of burning up another bar and chain, but I was wondering if you guys adjust yours due to bar length or what other conditions would warrant opening up or closing down the oiler?

i have no real time with the tsumura bars but if you hold her up against the new bar and she matches, .050 3/8" etc... i would swap her out quick.

i'm pretty jealous of your new saw.
before i swapped out my 362 for a 461 i ran a 25" bar on it and she ran well.
just something to consider...

anyway,
use it in the best of health.

that looks mint. The bluing on the rails is normal. Make sure the oil intake holes on the bar are clear, scrape the groove out, and I bet you're GTG if she cuts nice and straight.

Even if you do need a new bar, that's a good choice and a good deal.

Congrats!

Are the rails splayed out, or worn on the inside? Splayed rails can be closed with a closer tool from Bailey's or the like, or a hammer and spacer/ drivers.

That mushroomed edge on the bar can be flat filed back to flat with the side of the bar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing that I ran across as a potential problem with this saw is if the chain gets thrown it has a habit of hitting the front of the gas tank and cutting it open. I don't know how common that is or if it's a general thing that CAN happen to any saw like this. No one really makes a guard for this that I've found, although a guy makes some oversized felling dogs that incorporates a bar between the bottom two dogs that supposedly help along with a longer chip deflector. There's also an aluminum guard that slides over the bottom of the rear handle and bolts to the bottom two front handle bolts that protects the bottom of the saw. I may look into that since this saw is in such nice shape still. I don't know that I necessarily need the oversized dogs, and it doesn't look like the outside dog will fit my clutch cover anyway without drilling.

SeanKroll, the rails don't appear to be splayed apart. I'll need to run a gauge inside the groove for a better determination.

I don't think I have seen a chain "thrown". I assume that comes from being too loose?

I have seen a chain broken and it was "thrown" down range so far we could not find it...sounded like whispering death as it disappeared into the woods.

I don't let people stand in front of my bar since that day.

I've had chains come off the bar several time, as long as your chain catcher is in place the chance of cutting the fuel tank is minimal if not non-existent. It buggers up the drive links on the chain though.
If it breaks, it would in all likelihood go off like Gary said.

Man, I threw my good chain off of my 048 on the bar that came with this 362. Wow. This thing revs to the moon! The original chain is pretty worn according to the Local Stihl dealer but the bar is fine. The saw oils fine now that it's not chock full of pine gunk. I ran it through a few chunks of 12" pine and it flew through them. I can't wait to get this saw on a big ash. With the compression release valve and Elastostart handle I honestly think it starts as easily as my Husqvarna 142. I'm pretty happy with it!

On a side note, a buddy let me borrow his BR600 backpack blower today. I have a small Yard Man backpack and it usually takes me a couple hours blowing then raking the leaves when the leaves get too heavy. The Stihl got it done in an hour with no raking. Looks like I'll be back on Craigslist looking for those almost new 600s for sale because the owner NEEDS the new 700...

Back