Safety suggestion for a non-climber

Cuttinstuff

Treehouser
Okay so I'm not an arborist - nor do I have any desire to launch into a new career - but...

A good friend has a partially snapped off limb on a large maple up about 25 feet or so. He has tried to get a professional to give him an estimate but since it's such a small job he has not been able to get anyone to even come over to look at it.

He was wondering if I could help him out. Well not if I can't do it safely!

It's a bit too high to reach completely with the ladder that we have available - but we can get pretty close and there are solid branches under it and above it. However, I don't think much of free climbing around up there - it seems like a really bad idea for this guy!

I do have a climbing harness that I use for climbing my ham radio tower. I doubt that it's the same as an arborists harness but it does look very similar. I wonder if having a line attached to the rear of this harness (where the fall arrest lanyard attaches) and then run up to a higher point in the tree and back down to the ground would be a reasonable way to approach this?
Or maybe just saying no would be the best idea...;)

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi, Paul:

When it comes to tree work, ladders often = horror show.

I've found some pretty useful tips on how to use them safely HERE. Daniel may weigh in himself...

Please be careful!

I should tell you to forget it, unless you are at least somewhat experienced with setting up a life support line. Do you know a rock climber? Any halfway knowledgeable sport climber could offer you help on arranging a safe belay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I know that the limb usually falls down and knocks the ladder over...don't ask how I know that...:O

But I would no longer be standing on the ladder at the point where the branch would need to be cut I would be standing on a lower branch - and could easily put a line around the tree at that point as well - the harness has attachments for that purpose for a line to go around the tower as you climb.

Hi Burnham,

No, I do not know any climbers.
It seems pretty simple but then again (as you state at the bottom of every post)... I'm sure that I do not fully understand the situation...

I can't believe a treeco won't do it. I've done many small jobs. Most of the time several small jobs make more money at the end of the day than one big job.

Keep calling around! Surely someone will come out!

Well, part of the problem is that they're getting into crunch time as far as winter approaching here in WI. I actually had to try to find a company to come in to take down a large oak for my son about a month ago and some of the companys were already turning away calls (not even taking calls - answering machine only saying they were filled up for the season)

I did find a guy to pencil him in for some time in November - (but not yet)...

You would need a way to get the rope in the tree from the ground...at that height, no problem with parachute cord and a sock with some pennies in it. Use the para cord to pull the rope into place. As you climb the ladder, a helper (belayer) needs to take the slack out as you climb the ladder and then the tree. The trick is the actual belaying. Do some research on this maybe. I bet online there are some vids. A few pieces of specialized gear may be needed.

Use a haul line to get the saw up after you are where you want to be to work.

Or take a pass. You most likely will do OK, but if you were to manage to cut yourself, getting back down quickly can be difficult even for a well equipped pro.

The smart call is to get someone experienced, and maybe watch what they do closely so you have an idea about the methods for doing it yourself next time it comes up.

Well I do have a pneumatic launcher (again originally for ham radio use) that could easily get a line up into the tree. I've used that several times already for that purpose to pull smaller trees against the lean when close to a building.

Your description of the way the belay line would be used is what I had envisioned - but again I'm sure there is more to the story than just having a guy or two standing there holding the other end of the rope. So I'll look into that as you suggest.

Jeff speaks true...probably a good way to get in a bad situation.

Picture?

You might be able to send a line up, send up a running bowline and finish tearing it out...that will eliminate the hazard...if there are no underneath targets.

Just call it fracture pruning.

Burnham covered it well. Do something besides just have Bubba hold your belay line if you go up. But best is don't go up there...at least not on a ladder.

How did you know my friend's name was Bubba? :)

I do have a short video of the tree... Let me see if I can get it posted...

Okay here's a link to a short video of the tree in question. I haven't been over to look at it in person - Just going on what my I've been told. He thought it was up about 23 feet - in looking at the video again it might not be that high. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/JsYmHzAX1nA

Maybe he is worried about people being under it? It does look to be soundly resting there.

He should hire a good tree company to deadwood the tree...have to be some other dead limbs in the tree. Looks like he has a lot of other nice trees...maybe he needs to invest in some tree work.

Buy a throw line and bag, get it over the limb, thread a pulling line over it, tie a running knot in it, yank it out.

You would need a basal anchor, belay device, and someone who understands how to use them. A simple belay device (there are many, the ATC and the petzl reverso are popular) is around $20, but play around with it low and slow first. When the SHTF is not the time to learn new gear. Your background climbing towers SHOULD give you the basics about solid anchors and rope angles and all that.
I would try pantheraba`s suggestion first, get a line on it and try to pull it out.
If you decide to go with the climb/ belay route, I would happy to do a video call with you to be sure have the setup and usage correct.

I'd get on Craigslist and look up tree services or climbers. They'd have it down before you got set up and they're cheaper than the ER. This is coming from someone that hates to spend money on something I can PROBABLY do myself!

And that's true, too. Probably one of those guys would do it for $25-$50.

Although I try to stick with Butch's dictum...if I get off ground to do something it's already $100.

At least that's what I think I read years ago....I use that as a base line anyway.

Hi Chris,

"Your background climbing towers SHOULD give you the basics about solid anchors and rope angles and all that."

Actually, not so much...

The main safety concern when doing tower work (at least at the non-professional level) is simply fall prevention which means making sure that you are always clipped into the tower in some manner.

If you get hurt or incapacitated to the extent that you cannot get yourself down - your in big trouble. Unless you happened to be working with someone who had specialized training (not very likely) you would almost certainly end up waiting for rescue by a fire department or similar. But then again, nobody is using chainsaws up there either so people don't very often get hurt to that extent. (But they certainly do sometimes fall because they fail to stay clipped in)

Ropes are not used at all in respect to the actual climbing - only for raising or lowering tools and perhaps antennas, etc.

So - bottom line - we're basically talking no experience of any value in respect belay lines - etc.

Most of the time several small jobs make more money at the end of the day than one big job
Very true Butch. I love those kinds of days, variety and all that.
Sounds like you're on the right track Paul. I know you want to help your friend, but you'll do neither of you any good in the ER or worse. If you're interested in climbing, get some training, some gear and some practice and next time you can be that good Samaritan.

Back