Normal for clutch to engage on cold startup?

Robert P

TreeHouser
Have a Remington Outlaw 46cc. Runs great so far - starts on the first pull, runs smooth as silk, cuts great. The only thing I've noticed is that at first cold startup it runs fast enough to engage the chain clutch so the chain is running and I have to give it a quick goose to back it off. Once warm this isn't an issue - starts and burbles away at a low idle below the threshold to engage the clutch. Never had a gas saw before - is this typical or do you think it needs tweaking?

Common with a lot of saws. As long as the chain stops moving after warming up a bit and the speed up is smooth when accelerating, settings are ok, imo. I suppose it's running a little lean before things warm up, so at a slightly higher rpm idle. You know that when you put the choke setting on it also sets the throttle slightly increased, at least on most saws. The "goose" you refer to releases that throttle lock initiated by the choke. Disengaging the choke may not release the increased throttle until you pull the trigger.

Its fine. Sometimes this can happen when a saw has been sitting for awhile. I think one cause is sawdust, oil, and other gunk build up between the clutch and rim. If you hammer the throttle and then hit the chain brake most times it will remove the gunk.

If it does it continuously even after warm up its a bad clutch spring.

There is a couple more things it can be.

If you pull choke and insert it again you get what is called throttle lock or fast idle. This disengage as you pull throttle.
If you start and take choke in without pushing throttle this is still engaged and you are set for higher rev.

Carb setting that is a bit off and need adjusting.

Starting saws with spinning chain is not very good. Better start with brake engaged so nothing happen.

Oops.. I was a bit fast there...
Didn't realize you meant trottle lock until I read it again..

Ah, well, It can't hurt to have two, three saying same thing can it? Then it must be really right!
Ha!

Back