Ever had a new carabiner fail?

I think people should expect that a triple action will find a way to unlock and open itself given the right combination of events

Carabiners aren't really designed around pitch and tree debris.

They will at least fail to close like new Every time after being around trees.

Look! Listen! Feel! your connections when changing things up. Be aware of sticky biners needing cleaning or retirement/ downgrading.

I think people should expect that a triple action will find a way to unlock and open itself given the right combination of events
Yes, but all the gimmick about the great security improvement to launch the triple action connectors and to make them mandatory was disgusting. People usually believe what is told without thinking much about it.
Brain wash...
Actually my triple action carabiners did self opened more than my first double action ones. Pretty disturbing.

I have had closure function of tri-actions be non-operative under stringent testing, straight from the factory, with a few biners out of many from one specific company, but never a failure as in breakage.

Never any breakages or failures.
Like Tim, I have had a triple lock roll open once...squeezing down through some tight branches, and gummy gates, but that's just wear and tear.
I have a quad lock on the harness side of my lanyard...12 yrs old now...still going strong.

Back