Answers before the questions regarding site safety.

In the U.K. Where you live cheek by jowl, You take out a hedge, grind the stump then throw up a fence.

It's a good triple earner.

At least if you can, my fencing is, well not up to standard. I stick to what I can do.

I didn't explain very well.

The fencing company is already in the garden talking to the client.
They're pricing a fence, either a tree(s) is in the way and they offer to remove it or as a garden service the client says "do you do trees as well? as I want this one out"

It's not really much of a leap.

As for climbers, yes, in the U.K. At least, they're a dime a dozen, $175 will get you a passable climber for a day.

Insurance? Well for a start you go without, as things progress you can get some.

So the fencing company is also a licenced treeco?

The fencing companies around here are too busy building fences to be doing tree work.

It costs about $1200 a year here and you have to attend qualifying seminars once a year to keep your licence.

My insurance is $1000 bucks a year, in a country with no licence needed to run a tree co.

Seems reasonable to me.

Its the same over here- no license. The guys that do multiple services are usually tree hacks but there is plenty of hack style work on offer. Everything grows like crazy and many yards are a jungle. You can do decent volume rarely leaving the ground or needing to fell big wood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, two trees turned into ten. The lady that lives there wasn't home when I was there the first time so she had me come back out to show her which ones were dead. While I was there her husband came out and basically said "Let's get them all down NOW while we will have the lift and we'll plant new trees." Boom. Ten trees turned into 18. I have five days. Today was day four. We got all but the big ash down. I was supposed to have a 55' lift but the rental place failed to tell me that the only one they have has been rented since February and got extended. I had to settle for a 45' lift. Normally I could've used ANY lift, but I had to be able to fit it between two pines that were 6'6" apart.

I had myself and a partner for the last three days and at least one guy helping each day. I called a climber today to get the big ash on the ground. Great guy, climbs like a squirrel, and was cheaper than I'd ever do it for. He even got my 048 running better.

Tomorrow is slated to be buck up the big ash and split and stack it and get the brush cleaned up from the last eight trees. We still need to stack the wood from the eight trees and clean up. I bought an arbor trolley when the last eight trees came into the picture. Money well spent. The guys couldn't believe how much they could pile into that thing.

It's been a lot of work, but it feels good to see the difference. My shoulder will be glad when I go back to phone work though...

Thanks for all of the advice. I appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha! I'll get some tomorrow of the last logs and the lift. I think my partner for some over the last couple days. Butch, I wore your "Kiss the Sky" shirt on day one. Figured I'd start the job off right!

That's what turned it into ten trees!

KrRyjAP.gif

Back